Auto 4x4 question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topher5150

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
This is my first winter with my 08 and I was wondering if everything is on the up and up with this. I noticed a lot of times coming from snowy slush on to dry roads or taking off from a light that the auto 4x4 will be on off on off until for about a half mile or so and tends to kind of noisy.
It works great in the slush and snow and the 4x4 it self works great on it's own.
If this is normal then so be it but I just want to make sure it's ok

Best to put basic vehicle specs (Year+Model+Engin+Trans+2WD\4WD+...) in your signature+profile;
makes questions+answers easier+quicker.

Does "...on off on off...." refer to the 4x4 Lamps in the InstrumentCluster?
Or the actual 4x4TransferCase going in+out of 4WD?

How long since Trans ATF + TCase Fluid & Oil in both Differentials has been drained+renewed?
Recommend every 33kMiles\4Years.

Last edited:
Sorry still trying to figure that out.
08 V6 4x4
When I say on off I can feel it slip for half a second then bam the 4x4 kicks in and it does in rather rapid succession. No lamps or indicators.
As far as being serviced I only had the truck for about a year so I don't know about any previous maintenance.
Fluids never crossed my mind because shifts fine, I don't hear any diff noise

We can argue all day about recommended fluid change intervals and what to use. Your manual will give the Ford recommendations. That being said, you’re best to change all fluids and start fresh since you have no idea of past service.

^ Ditto. And don't judge fluid condition by color, texture, and smell alone.

Having clean fluids is the cheapest preventative measure to prolong engine, transmission, and differential life, period.

^^Exactly.
I can tell you that I changed my transfer case oil last year due to a front seal replacement (a MAJOR PITA) and the original fluid specification has been updated. Maybe it’s a fluke but I feel that the AWD engages much smoother than before.

Latest posts