Automatic Headlights

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Martinez

Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I've got an electrical dilemma.

So when I learned to drive, my father had an Expedition with automagic headlights. When I got my 05' ST, it didn't come with the luxury. Now I've had the trac for a while. So I've gotten used to it, but I figured I'd add it if I ever got the opportunity. Sure enough, at my local junk yard, an Explorer showed up with them. I took the switch for them and I took the sensor out of a Town Car. I modded everything to work properly with the truck. (There was even a pre-drilled hole on the dash with the proper mounting pegs and everything!!) :banana:

I wired it through a relay, so the automatic headlight switch would be in the "Automatic" Position all the time, but since I couldn't just wire it up to the sensor, seeing as how it'd be on all night (and I'd have to manually turn them off, kinda defeating the purpose of them...), I decided I was going to run everything through a relay.

I've got a ground on the relay

I've got (switched from the ignition) the light sensor into my switched power into the relay

And of course the constant 12 in, and the accessory out to the headlight switch.

Well the best laid plans of mice and men, right? :banghead:

Doesn't seem to work. I'm not getting any sort of power from the dash mounted sensor.

SO the question is. Am I doing this all in vain? Am I missing something here? How do I check if the sensor even works?

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2003 has the auto headlight switch on the bottom of the inside rearview mirror. when they r turned on an amber light shows.:supercool:

Yeah, Mine doesn't come with either the mirror switch nor the traditional switch where the lights are. I however did fix the problem. I found out the sensor was bad. As I go to search for a new one however...I can't find it.....:sad:

The only other conceivable thing I could think of is to go to the yard, and just get a TON of them. Like 5+

I don't wanna get a new one, since they're like $50, and I don't want this turning into a huge project...

So All in all, here I am, invested $30 already, and I'm sitting here with my hands on my head. If anyone knows where the proper sensor is, that'd be great, it's either the small round thing on the forward part of the dash, passenger side, or it's a small oval piece that contains the security LED. I have an odd feeling it's the latter, and I picked up the wrong sensor. But. I'll keep trying!

Dang I purchased a 'premium'? What else did I get with my auto headlights?

A jack handle.......:bwahaha:

'04 and '05 the bumbpers and clading is body colored. I think the long console also...