Aux back up lights

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig Martin 2

Reaction score
I bought a set of aux back up lights and was wondering if it is possible to have them come on automatically with the reverse lights AND have them on a separate switch for when I need them at night hooking up a trailer or what not. I know I can tap into the reverse lights so they come on when I go into reverse, but could I also have them hooked up to a switch at the same time......If you guys have a wiring diagram this would help me out a ton.

Sure it's possible... When wiring my Trac to tow my RV, I tapped into the reverse light wire behind the12v outlet in the rear bed ares. I ran that to a relay, which switches power to my 7-pin trailer connector from the 12v plug in the bed. I mounted aux lights under my trailer on each side pinting rearward, so it can see when backing into a spot late at night.... works nice...

You should have no problem tapping into a 7-pin trailer hitch connection. For any accessory back-up, turn signal and/or brake light I strongly advise towards using USDOT-compliant LED lighting. LED lights are generally more noticeable, draw less power and last longer. Win-win-win.

If you have serious visibility needs, I suggest one of several models of remotely steerable search lights that can be permanently mounted, magnetically mounted and/or be made portable as per your needs.

In general, HID lighting sources are the most efficient, but cost more up front, and can be harder to install. LED lighting is a close second re efficiency, and are the most rugged. But the price per lumen can be off-putting. Plain old tungsten filament lamps with an inert (ie. xenon) envelope gas is a great compromise if you're on a budget. The paramount issue is optics and coverage, so a well designed set of xenon back-up lights are every bit as efficacious as other technologies, and probably will be more cost-effective in the long run.

I've had mixed results using LED back up lights as plug-in replacements for standard tungsten lamps. The 5W/socket LED replacements that I've used are more efficient and last longer. OTOH they are limited by their internal optics, which might not suit your needs. Aftermarket LED lighting can also trigger false "burnt out lamp" warnings in some models. I speak generally, not for the ST in particular.

I love my Vision-X LED off-road lights. They're bright, rugged and an easier DIY install vs. HID lights. They are spendy though. Call Rhino Parts and mention my name. Maybe they'll give you a discount...

IMHO Vision-X has a superior line of drop-in replacement LED lights as well as a killer line of off-road LED lights for fog, long-throw and other uses. I'm a long-time user and strong proponent of this line of products. The 2" square 900 lumen solo fixtures are rugged, heavily heat-sinked (even LED lights can make a lot of heat) and can be ganged and/or arrayed to suit your needs. The larger Vision-X arrays are dazzling, but too rich for my blood so far. I welcome Vision-X to use my '07 ST as a test mule...front, back...whatever. With my EE and since-1st-gen LED experience, I'm sure that we can make an agreeable setup. With enough pre-orders I'm willing to fabricate drop-in luggage rack mounts and wiring harnesses.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts