Axle seals and rear carrier question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffksf B

Reaction score
So My Driver side axle seal is leaking and it was due for a new gear lube so I pulled it apart today. Watched a video about how to pull the axles out. So I removed the spider gear pin keeper bolt and it broke. And it was really weird how it broke, it didn't snap it felt like it loosened like a normal bolt. Anyhow so now I'm wondering if that pin will work out on its own. The keeper bolt is still in there with the threads engaged. I put it back together because I'm going to do a little research on it and buy the keeper bolt as well. I think it will be tricky to drill out because of clearance issues as well.

Anyone have any experience with these keeper bolts.

here is a video of a guy who had to weld a nut on his keeper bolt.

I have this kit, worth it's weight in gold

http://www.fabbriassociates.com/kitinfo.html

Comes with extractors, alignment bolt and long drill bit

15 minutes tops and you are back in business

Hope for the best; be prepared for ...

From the posted link:

Got my extractor kit today and went to go and get the bolt out and the bit lasted maybe 15 seconds before it shattered into 3 pieces.

I Googled 'broken rear end pinion shaft lock bolt' and in reading most everyone succeeds in using the drill kit within ten minutes. The few that couldn't appear to have experienced the broken piece to be spinning and therefore could not be drilled which I'm thinking is your case. Those with the loose piece spinning have actually backed it out by catching a rough bur with a pick or some have been able to use a magnet pen.

Ive tried for hours now and i just can't get the bit to progress into the broken bolt. I actually thought for a bit that maybe the bolt was somehow spinning in the hole. It's not and there's still thread left, so it couldn't. Probably yes on the thread lock as the new one I bought has it on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Yardsdale - Oh the memories of that thread and what Chogidog went through. When I began reading this thread and saw jeffksf mention broken bolt, I immediately cringed. Then I saw that you linked that thread. :supercool:

@jeffksf - wish you the best of luck with the drill kit!

So A little update. If you remember I put it back together with the remainder of the keeper bolt in place, did some research (this thread) ordered the removal kit and new bolt last Monday.

So kit shows up today and I take it back apart. So the remainder of the keeper bolt backed out to almost the end of the threaded hole! Good thing I didn't go much longer. So I didn't even need the removal kit, I was able to back it out with a pick and my finger. But the truck still sits apart till tomorrow because Advance Auto sold me the wrong axle seals :cry: Luckily there is a NAPA store about 10 miles away open tomorrow. So if all goes well tomorrow I should be done in about 2 hrs.

Latest posts