baby name issue

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill V

Reaction score
Quick question, and one of those questions that can only really be asked in a place like this--

How important do you think it is to avoid naming your baby with initials that form an insulting acronym?

My wife and I are 7 and a half months pregnant. We're not going to find out the baby's gender until it is born. We're narrowing down names in each gender. And, both for family reasons and just generally liking the name, the boy's name we keep coming up with is Connor Henry Edward. (It's common in both our families for kids to have multiple middle names.)

The problem? That makes the kid's initials CHEV.

Should this be enough reason to avoid the name? Growing up, the kid in my class whose initials were 'RAT' always got teased about it, but pretty minorly. I also had a friend who kept her maiden name when she got married simply because she didn't want to switch from 'RAZ' to 'RAG'. So clearly, it does matter--but how much?

--Bill

My Uncles real name is Allan Scott Smith... ASS -- He actually changed his name when he was old enuff to, to Scott Allan Smith.

So I guess to some people its really important, and some dont really care?

I grew up with a rhyming first and last name. Well, it still rhymes - hah.. my exhusband's last name was worse than keeping my maiden. I've heard it all when I was a kid.

Anyhow.. kids are cruel, and I'd avoid anything that can elicit name calling.

How about Connor Edward Henry?

30 years ago, (where the kids are know pretty much adults), I don't think it was an issue to speak of.

But today kids are a little quicker with their wit and more open than before. I am 42 and was raised with pretty strict manners. I am doing my very best to instill that into my kids. With good manners everything else seems to fall into place.

I see many of their friends that just talk openly about others. In a way I never have even as an adult (in most cases). Nor do my kids, but I see it all the time.

So in todays world I would suggest being a bit more careful of their name and their initials. No sense of them being tormented if it can be avoided..

Paul Edward Roger, definitely not.

But, CHEV seems pretty harmless. Could even be a cool theme for baby clothes and stuff, if you can live with a non-Ford logo.

Or, as suggested, switching the order is a pretty simple solution.

Anyway, Congratulations!

Why not just call him CHEV? haha it sounds cute, although we are ford people here...heeheee

It sounds okay to me. I like it too. and it is nice to have a name that can spell something out. But it is nice to also have nice initials in case you get married and someone buys you initialed towels. haha Mine are LMH and I think it is nice. Mine used to be LMSB...LMH is much nicer and easier! My daughters are TRKH and it sounds like TRUCK and she isn't so thrilled. So who knows. Maybe do it and just don't tell him and let him or her figure it out on their own, and see what they think then. But don't name it that if its a girl or it will get teased for being as big as a ......Chev!!! Congrats, Lianna

When we expected our first child if it was a boy, we were going to name him Walter Alexander Rogers (WAR)...and considered the initials, but said WTF, because we liked the name and it had meaning. My wife miscarried, and we never had our little "Alex" as we called him since, but that's a different story.

Name the kid what YOU want for YOUR reasons.

Others will pick nicknames, and some won't be flattering. That's just the way it is. I have a cousin who to this day is called TOAD by everyone, including his family, because as a newborn the kids face looked like a toad. He grew out of it, but the name stuck.

And, don't be a nickname Nazi kind of a parent. Those folks drive me nuts. If your kids name is Elizabeth for example, and someone calls her Liz, well GET OVER IT, even if you don't prefer it. Same with Richard/Dick, Timothy/Timmy, etc. I see SO many parents get bent out of shape if their kids name gets shortened by someone into one of the more acceptable/common nicknames, as if their kids are royalty or something.

Jeez!

P.S. My oldest son's name is Lucas and we call him Luke. Logan is our middle child and he has my name as a middle name (Logan Thomas) and I call him LT quite a bit. And, Lexie, our "baby" girl (5yo) is called Lex, Sweetie Pie, and Lexie Lou pretty commonly by me...and her middle name is NOT Lou (go figure). Your kids will be called ALL KINDS of things.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Pick names you like and don't worry about the initials. If it's a girl, it's not going to help. My wife went from EAG to EGG when she got married. It's not a big deal, my daughter's initials are WAG.

I would say its extremely inportant to watch what you name your kids nowadays, I have a 4 year old daughter and it played a pretty big part in what we were going to name her... from the initials to nicknames... to rhymes... you name it. The way society is nowadays (which is pretty sad) why would you want to risk and undo pressure and stress on your children by chancing a name like that.

I was a red head (was.... I now have no hair...) and I was called carrot top, archie... my name is dallas so people called me salad (dallas backwards) and as a child these really bothered me. Now as an adult they dont phase me at all, but it played a major part in naming my daughter.

Salad (Dallas)

First of all, Congrats on the new upcoming addition to the family!!! It seems to me that the problem is with your last name. Obviously, you must immediately change it to Taylor or Thomas or Turner, so the little one's initials will be CHET. :D:D:D

I don't think there is any problem with the name at all...in fact I really like the sound of it personally. And again, Congrats!!!

We had a Thai waitress in a restaurant whose first name was "Phouc". I just called her "Miss", because I didn't want to accidently mispronounce her name. :lol:

My boss' initials are "DOG".

I was a red head (was.... I now have no hair...) and I was called carrot top, archie...

I know what it is like. Being a redhead, people feel obligated to call you names. The one I felt was the worst was "Red on the head like the D___ on a dog". Other names didn't bother me but that one I felt was very offensive.

My brother's initials is LAS while one of my cousins was GAS (Gregory Allen). Of course, the family refers to him between ourselves as "Crack Head Greg" because that is what he has become.

A friend of mine has a last name of Dildine. His son was once called Dildo because of his last name. When Dan was younger, he wasn't called that because that word wasn't used that often...if at all.

The kid that called him Dildo only did it once. He wan not given the opportunity to do it again. He got his butt kicked.

Times change and derogatory names change. For Example, the word "Gay". It used to mean happy, now it is a term for Homosexuality. So you never know what words will become something else.

Bad is good. Cool isn't cold, it is neat. Sweet isn't just a taste. Getting salty does not always mean you added too much salt and radical is not always an idea. Nuts aren't always what squirrels eat. While I am commenting on this thread doesn't always mean that I am about to sew and a screw isn't always used to attach one thing to another.

I do believe no parents should name thier daughter Bambi, Honey, or Ginger. Two of them sound like stripper names and one sounds like people are always trying to hit on her. I prefer grown up names for children. It is cute to have a childish sounding name as a baby, but babies do grow up and they will have to deal with some pervert hitting on her. With a name like Honey, you don't know if he is calling her by her name or really calling her "sweetie" but using the pet name of Honey. Many guys, including myself, call their mate "Honey".

Reminds me of the one Jerry Sinefeld episode when Jerry forgot a womans name he was dating. It rhymed with a womans body part. At the end of the show, after she realized he forgot her name so she left, it ended up to be "Deloris".

:lol:

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man--this is turning into a "bad names" thread... :)

OK, here's a couple of the worst I've heard--and both come from the Olympics. One was an American swimmer either 8 or 12 years ago, named (not kidding) Misty Hymen. The other was in about that same time frame as well, but was during the winter Olympics. The US had a skating team (don't know if it was figure scating or ice dancing) whose last names were Punsalin and Swallow. His name was Jared Swallow--but they often showed images of his mother, whose name is Gay Swallow.

I actually like the name Ginger--possibly because a close friend of mine in high school had that name. Although it was fitting that she was probably the most attractive girl in the school. It didn't hurt that she had a great last name to go with it--she was Ginger Sharp.

Latest posts