Back Bumper Repair - REPAIRED see below

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phill R

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience straightening the back bumper after a 15mph thump?

What parts I may need and aproximate cost?

From underneath, it looks like maybe a couple of twisted brackets is all I might need to replace.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
look on ebay for the parts if needed. by the looks of it though tiy can just remove the bumper cover and using a sledge or something .. straighten out the brackets yourself... looks like you might have crease lines on your cover though. I would find one at the wreckers

The bumper cover costs about $160 plus shipping, and the metal bumper supports are not that expensive. The rear problem may be if the frame horns are bent. You will not straighten them by beating on them with a hammer, but they may be straightened by hydraulic-rams. The can be leased at some tool rental places, or you may be able to do it with a small hydraulic jack. The problem with that is most jacks are designed for vertical operation, and will not work in a horizontal position.

...Rich

If RichardL is talking about a new bumper cover he is a little off in price. They used to be that price way back when, but since about 03 they are double that. Right around the 300 dollar US mark. ST'erriffic verified that price for me when I was looking into a new cover in 04.

Well, this afternoon, I decided to see what I could do with my bumper. I loosened 4 bolts on the frame brackets and was able to raise the bumper back into place [slotted bolt holes, no wonder it twists]. I used a hair dryer to warm the bumper cover so I could work out the kink. It looks OK but I will still have to replace the two brackets and the hitch plate. I'm glad I don't have the painted bumper or I'd be replacing that as well.

I'll order from fastpartsnetwork [formerly fordpartsnetwork], used to be a site sponsor for less than $150.

Rich L; The cover lists for $450 now.