Back Power Window

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Sacco

Reaction score
Greetings All,

I have an '01 Job2. The weatherstrip on the outside of my rear power window has 1/2 fallen inside, and believed to have jammed and disabled the window. I have the initialization sequence to re-enable it, but do not want to try yet, since the window is up. My question is: what is the easiest way to get to the tract to put in a new one in? I also heard to NOT depend on the strips self adhesive, but to use some other type of cement.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. :)

I just fixed this same problem, kinda. My outside strip was peeling up/down with window movement causing a bounce back and would never fully close because of this. I would have to manually pull it up (although I never knew about the turn and hold feature to force close). The only difference is my concern was more of having the window work rather worry about that weatherstrip, for now at least. I pulled off the remaining weather strip but still had the bounce back so I tried the re program and couldn't get it to work until I found a post with the same problem with the initialization process. They found that the window needs to be in the down position before you start. My window was already up before when it didn't work and the instructions never mentioned anything about the window needing to be up or down. But it worked and was able to complete the re program.

This doesn't help with your weather strip but may help when you do the re program.

TY Kyle. I have three different sets of initialization instructions, each slightly different. Now I guess 4 with 'start with the window down'. lol

I follow the initialization process found on this site http://www.mysporttrac.com/~library/26139/rear-window-motor-initialization-general-procedures.pdf with the 1 exception of making sure I had the window down before I started. It doesn't state this directly but makes since being that the 1st actual step minus the turn key from off 2 on, is to turn the window knob to close window all the way. But if your window is already up I guess it won't complete that step, making it unable to complete the program. Hope that makes sense and saves you time.

By the way there are drain holes in that rear panel, if you just pulled the strip off?so you could actually use the window, it is summer time and comes in handy. I still have my strip and plan to put it back, if I can, at some point.

Thanks for the info. I tore it apart today, and think I hear the motor try to respond to the initialization, but my window is stuck all the way up. I can't figure out how to get it down. It seems to be jammed up.

Ok. I tore out the regulator, and ordered a new one (as the motor sounded like it was trying to respond to the initialization). I installed the new regulator, and attempted to initialize it. I went through the procedure, and the window went up, but then no more response. Also, when I started the procedure, it did not move up & down (to show that it entered the initialization mode) as it states on the procedure. It just goes up, and stops. Does this mean I need a new motor unit? One of the sets of initialization instructions states that if you try to initialize it twice, and it still doesn't work, to replace the motor unit.

BTW, until I tore out the regulator, I didn't know why it wasn't working. After looking at the back, I saw where the wings on the plastic pulley had broken, and allowed the cable to slip out, and jam between the pulley and the metal track.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts