Back up lights

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieS'04

In Memoriam 1950-2022
Reaction score
Is the flat trailer plug on the rear of a gen1 trac, wired to the backup lights?

I have an old 55 watt driving light. Thinking of setting it up under the bumper. For a backup light.

Thanks...

Thanks JD. I guess I will use the back up wire for a trigger and use a relay off of the power point.

just get u a 7 pin trailor harness it has a wire for backup lights, 12 volt constant and other things i have it on my truck for my camper and i put back up lights on the truck and four wheeler trailor

Not really as easy as getting a 7 pin connector. You will still need to tap in to your back up light harness some way some how. There is no aftermarket T connector for the Gen 1.

I would definately use some sort of relay circuit as the amperage on a 55w light will be pretty high for the wiring used for factory back up lights. Make sure you connect in series with your light or else your factory back up lights might not come on (relay being an almost short).

Denis

way more convenient to have it on a relay with a switch. Thats how I like all my extra lights.

My aftermarket fogs, only will turn on if the running lights are on, and my super bright spot lights will only turn on if my brights are on.. all controlled with relays and switches.

Latest posts