Backup DVDs?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyB

Reaction score
What are you guys using to backup your DVDs (even the protected ones) ?

I would like to leave a copy in the ST to watch on my Avic-Z1. I am new to the whole DVD thing.

Thanks

DVDFab has stepped ahead of DVDShrink and CloneDVD.

DVD Fab has operated flawless for us.

Tom

Ripit4me. I use dvdshrink alot. But for those dvds that are copyrighted.

To use Ripit4me, you'll need: FixVTS and DVD Decrypter. The links are available for download through Ripit4me

And for further help on mostly anything go to: http://forums.cdcovers.cc/

Its a good site for info as well as get the covers you need. If you can't copy them.

All programs are free as well.

I use DVDFAB Decriptor. Great program. You will still need to shrink with DVD Shrink to make them fit a bought DVD+R. Unless you do what I do and just copy the movie itself without all the extra and menus.;)

Usually I use DVD Decrypter to copy it too an .img file than if its single layer just burn with DVD Decrypter but if its double I either use DVD Shrink or DVD Fab.

Also for help try http://www.videohelp.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
I use AnyDVD HD from SlySoft, which strips the copy protection off...

You can then use any DVD copy program, as the disc no longer has the protection (it doesn't remove the copy protection from the DVD, but as it's being read)

They also sell CloneDVD2 which will perform the copying and the ripping...

I think that's how they get around the whole DVD copyright copying rules, as their DVD copy program (CloneDVD2) doesn't copy protected discs (but if you are running AnyDVD/AnyDVD HD, it does)...

AnyDVD / AnyDVD HD will work with all the other DVD copying programs as well...

I have yet to encounter a disk I can't copy...

www.slysoft.com

Big D, you can get it for free at downloads.com or filehippo.com. Just do a search for DVDFAB, or decryptors.;)

E-Mail me if you can't find it. I think I still have the "install" download that I can send you.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I use 123copydvd. You can download it at their website of the same name. I have had great luck with it, and they are constantly making upgrades when a new encryption comes out.

I've tried most of the ones listed here. DVD Decriptor and DVD Fab are the best at getting by the copy protection. In general the hardest disks to copy have Sony's ARrCoSS protection, then it comes to Disney. Disney usually has some game on the disk that actually messes with several of the rippers. DVD Fab can usually crack both. I usually have it copy the whole disk 1:1 to the hard drive then use DVDShrink to make it fit down to a 4.9GB disk. I usually set DVDShrink to do the highest compression on the extras, titles and everything but the main movie then do the automatic compression level on the movie itself. This frees up more room for the movie so it does minimal compression.

Some disks can copy 1:1 on a standard disk with room to spare.

I have yet to successfully backup Shrek (1). I've gotten the movie, but not extras, or the whole disk without sound, etc.

Just remember, on discussions like this everyone must remember to keep it legal. I make backups because I have a 2-1/2 year old who likes to press buttons and plays with whatever comes out (DVD's, VHS, CD's, etc).

R Shek says:
Just remember, on discussions like this everyone must remember to keep it legal. I make backups because I have a 2-1/2 year old who likes to press buttons and plays with whatever comes out (DVD's, VHS, CD's, etc).

I'm glad you said that, and though it goes without saying, it is still great to hear it said. Some I know rent and rip, and that's simply inexcusable.

P.S. I like DVDShrink.

Hopefully with on-demand, Fios to the home, better compression technologies (like MPEG4) and home media library devices the era of the optical, digital recording is nearing its end.

It will likely rise and fall faster than the LP and it's variants.

TJR

Latest posts