Backup Light Wiring

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny O

Reaction score
I got a "wireless" backup camera for the Trac. I already put one in the wife's Taurus wagon a few weeks ago so she can see around the dog (and it's cheaper than a new minivan :lol: ).

The connection to power the camera splices into the backup light wiring, however I cannot tell which wire is positive and which is negative. Both wires are black, one with a yellow stripe and one with a blue stripe. I can't tell from looking inside the socket either. I'd rather not strip off enough insulation to use a tester since the camera just uses Scotch-Lock connectors and I'd like to keep it mostly weatherproof..

Anybody?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I winged it the first time, reasoning that since yellow is brighter than blue, that would be the hot lead.

Wrong.

It seems the black/blue wire is the hot and the black/yellow wire is the ground. So far it seems to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's alive! It's ALIIIIIIIIVVVVE!!!!

Even hard-wired the monitor. Velcroed it to the dash, ran the wire behind the lower dash panel, through the console (easy) and Scotch-Locked it to the wires behind the accessory plug in the console, which conveniently has red and black wires.

Latest posts