Bad fuel mileage update

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denise Hayes 2

Reaction score
Well, my fuel mileage back up now, thanks to some of you that recommended me checking air pressure in my tires. What a difference 6 pounds of air pressure will make. About 2 miles per gallon. My tires had 30 psi and I put 36 psi in them and that was the answer. Thanks everyone....

Yeah, my MPG takes a beating during the winter for that very fact. I let out some air for traction when the white stuff starts flying, then fill them come spring.:D

but then you have to worry about how the tire wears down...

And at 6 psi LOW it will wear the out side edges badly...

Todd Z

I have been running 34 on all 4, since new. The tires are wearing out in the center. They are the GY rts. So I dont care...:D

So everyone goes against the recommendations of having the front lower in pressure than the back? I put em both to 35 psi, and now my ride feels "floaty" compared to what it did before...now I can't corner as fast, and it feels like I'm going to slide across the double-yellow on winding roads.

Maybe it's just me not getting used to the new feel, but I suspect that it is more, as the front no longer drags and anchors the back....the intricate fun of rear wheel drive...the first and only ride I've driven with it.

Back on topic, before I went dual-35 psi, my pressure was down to 29 in the front and 33 in the back...pumping it back up gave me ~1mpg gain. 18 mpg to 19.6 in similar driving....gotta love it.