Bad Morning~Advice Needed

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woppy V

Reaction score
Well this morning has me hyper concerned. I turned on my truck and the 'check gas cap' light was on. Fine - I figure its a loose hose and just is going to be a bit of a pain when I get home. Then 5 miles down the road my 'Check Engine Light' comes on also. So I turn off the radio and listen to my ride to see if anything is out of the norm when I realized I have a new RPM jump between 2~3 gear. What the heck could be happening??????:blink: I installed the y-pipe and cat this weekend and am sure i didnt disturb anything + it ran fine all weekend and yesterday. Seems unreal to me that all of this hit at freakin once:angry:!!! I have a flasher with no tunes on it right now... anyway i can use that to figure out what my CEL came on for? OR does anyone have a clue as to why this junk all is occuring? I must run out of the office now for a hour or two and will be able to answer needed probing questions when i return! THANKS IN ADVANCE!

get the code. also it could be the famous engine flare finally hitting you and just a coincidence that you installed the y-pipe etc...

If it is the flare then at least you have the flasher, it all but gets rid of it. Now its just time to get a hold of some good tunes.

You could have damaged an 02 sensor installing the parts....

You can get the code using the flasher you have, Post the code and we can help you out...

Also did you disconnect the battery while installing the parts ???? The computer may not realize a change...

Todd Z

Hey guys back in the office. I can't get the code until later tonight. It's back at the house and I have meetings till 9:00. When I get it I will let you all know so please check back in on this post later. As for the flare ~ i read up on it some ~ a tune and what else will aid in that? And is the flare overly damaging over time?

Woppy, The flair is severely damaging..... IT can nuke the tranny over time....

But for the gas cap light to come on ....... thats the weird part of all of this....

Feel free to call me tonight if you need help.....

Todd Z

As for the 'check gas cap' light, I'm sure you're not the type to close the fuel door without making sure the gas cap is tight, but somebody may have fooled around with it while you weren't looking...

Sorry, Woppy. I saw your other thread.