Bad Vibration

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trying to pull right rear wheel knuckle now to replace wheel bearing. Wheel knuckle bolts frozen, won't budge even with 275 ft/lb impact driver. And I haven't even touched the transfer case yet. This truck is turning in a nightmare.

No I never figured it out. I replaced all the U joints on both front and rear drive shafts, no change. Took it into a shop and they put it up on a lift and ran it up to 60mph off the ground. They thought it might be coming from the transfer case but weren't really sure, and it really didn't duplicate with the wheels in the air because they weren't under load. I think it was either one of the wheel bearings or the transfer case, but it also may have been the transmission. I couldn't find anyone to rebuild the transfer case, and even if I did it was going to cost quite a bit. I got tired to throwing money and time at it and traded it for a different Sport Trac that had the Limited package, with less miles, one year newer, and in much better overall condition. I think the trade cost me less than what it would have taken to fix the old one.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I’m going through the same crap too. Drive it and it’s like your driving on the rumble strip. It might be transfer case like you said. Hope you’re having less issues with your newer st. I’ll post again here if I ever find a solution

Trying to pull right rear wheel knuckle now to replace wheel bearing. Wheel knuckle bolts frozen, won't budge even with 275 ft/lb impact driver. And I haven't even touched the transfer case yet. This truck is turning in a nightmare.

Have you tried putting a torch on it?

Fire is your friend when it comes to stubborn bolts. I'm in the southeast, and I wouldn't know what to do without my little friend.

PropaneTorch-JumboFlame-700x700.jpg

Last edited:
Have you had the tires checked for tread run-out?
No I haven’t but it does make the vibration with the rear tires off the ground. I’ll double check it though.
Back in March I had to have the driveshaft replaced because the carrier bearing had failed on the original. For roughly the first month after I had a lot of grease slung around the area surrounding the rear transfer case/ driveshaft area. I’m wondering if the vibration from the old driveshaft made the bearing/bushing in the rear of the transfer case go bad

Just updating... had driveshaft replaced again under warranty, looks like the bearing at the front of it failed. This new driveshaft is already slinging grease from the same bearing but vibration is gone. I’m suspecting transfer case if the vibration comes back. Fingers crossed

Latest posts