bad wheel bearing

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will have to replace the whole hub assembly on a 4x4. Just hope it doesn't look like this:

[Broken External Image]:

Very easy....

There is a project on removing the axle, you can follow that to the remove the axle part and then remove the bearing retaining bolts, Change out and reverse...

http://www.mysporttrac.com/MySportTrac/projects/CVHowTo.pdf

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
As Jeff mentioned, it is part of the hub assembly.

That said, it is pretty easy and straight forward. You will not have to grease them or anything like that as they are an internal component of the bearing itself.

A few years back I replaced a set on a Chevy for a customer that was an AVID off-roader and seemed to live in the water. So to help the life of his replacement bearings I drilled and tapped a hole and installed a Zerk fitting so he could grease them and push out the water that gets trapped in the bearing area.

I am sure the same can be done for the Trac as well.

One caution on buying some cheap brand. The sensors are part of the hub for the ABS system. If you get a hub that does not have the EXACT same number of sensor tabs, your ABS brakes will not work.

Others here have had this issue...