Battery Light steadily on

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tombstones81

Reaction score
Battery light suddenly came on for the wife yesterday (my truck HATES her!) haha
She drove about 75 miles after it came on, so I doubt the alternator is Dead but might have an issue.

Battery gauge is right in the middle & Zero problems starting.
Checked the battery fluid level & it does need some & plan to fill it with distilled water.
(battery was replaced with new early this year or late last year)

Going out to check to see if any connections are damaged or came loose.

Any other suggestions?

ty

all 3 wires on the alternator are good & nothing loose.
Light still on.

Turned Everything I possibly could on & it eventually stalled from lack of power. (watched the battery gauge)
Shut everything back off, waited a few seconds & it started back up. (battery light still on)

if it continues after refilling the battery.
All signs pointing to the alternator then?

Get the codes read. Where I am, Advance has better machines than A.Z.

Not sure if the Battery Light throws a code.
No other lights on tho.

& its the alternator.
Just went down for distilled water & the battery was draining otw back.
Fluid was just covering the plates in the battery & took a good amount to top it off.

Will jump it with the wifes truck in a bit, but since the plates were fully submerged, im saying def the alternator.

Just going to ride the motorcycle a good ways to a used parts warehouse & get a used alternator for just $35.
I dont have $140+ to get a Reman from NAPA or $250+ for a new one atm & need my truck fixed Tomorrow!

Already bought used alternators from there before without issues.
For my old 02 Grand am & only replaced it twice in the span of 11 years & 100,000 miles.
& a transmission from there that lasted the life of the car too.

Now to watch a video on removal & try to get it out tonight, to save time tomorrow.
At least it will be easier then my 2.2 grand am!!! (was on the passenger side & a B!tch!)

(edit)
Now THATS ridiculously easy!

Last edited:
Ya that was Stupid easy to take off~!!!!

& got an idea when looking up if I need to take my old one up for any core charges. ( I did for the transmission but cant recall for the alternators)
They have pics of the vehicles the parts came out of, & pics of the engine.

So my ass is going to browse through the pics & buy the cleanest / newest looking alternator :D
Doesnt matter to them if it has 1 mile on the part or 100,000.

So far one is brighter then the rest of the engine bay & the spool on it looks brand new :D

(edit)
like this one.
Looks cleaner then the rest of the engine bay & the spool looks brand new :)

Attachments

• F745992DD45145C7853E598EE247A796002_web.jpg
    F745992DD45145C7853E598EE247A796002_web.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
i agree with you that all points to alt, ya could charge or swap a battery and take it to parts store, most test for free just in case something else, but a charged battery in daylight with out using power options should drive for awhile. i would check belt why your doing it there cheap and only one.

Good reminder!
I forgot to inspect the belt further.
Not like it even matters for how simple it is to swap!
& the diagram is still there under the hood.

Ya I searched After I posted ><
Basically learned that if the battery light comes on, its coming from the alternator.

Truck wouldnt restart after coming back with dist water.
Restarted after it sat for an hour while I made & ate dinner tho.
So that confirmed it.

Alternator can put out voltage and charge, BUT throw the light if it has a bad diode.... it has 2-3 diode in it...
ALSO there is a fusable link in the small trigger wire in the harness going to the firewall from the alt in one of the small wires.. That can burn and cause the light to be on but still charge...

Yours sounds like a bad alt...

ALSO IF YOU drained the battery, you MUST fully charge it or replace it before the new alt. you will DAMAGE the new alt if you try to let it charge a weak or beat up battery.... period.

Checking the charging system is pretty basic and easy. Before starting the truck, just check the battery voltage with a volt meter or multi meter. Note the voltage. Should be around 12-12.5 volts. Then start the truck and check it again. Should be somewhere between 13.5 and 15 volts. If it does not increase or goes down, then the alt is probably the culprit. If it does increase, the battery is probably the culprit. I say probably, because nothing is certain but the chances of it being something else are pretty slim.

Thank you guys.
& it was the alternator.
$37.10 for a used one, 10 minutes to put it in & good to go :)
Shes good & no more battery light as well.

I needed it fixed today & didnt have enough to spare for a reman or new one.
gotta do what ya gotta do :D

& the belt is in perfect condition

(edit)
2 days later, everything is still good :D

Last edited: