Battery Problem

Help Support SportTrac.org:

Larry Michael

2nd Gen Owner
V8 Engine
4 Wheel Drive
Reaction score
The yellow top Optima is more of a deep cycle battery. It is perfect for vehicles with accessories that can drain a battery more than usual. Winches, refrigerators and huge stereo systems played without the engine running are examples where a yellow top is the better choice.

When I used the yellow top battery that is now in my ST on the forklift, I used a charger with an AGM (absorbed glass mat) setting to optimize the charge rate and capacity since it was always used in a deep cycle application and it benefited from the smart monitoring of the charge.

The red top Optima is the standard choice for vehicles without high current drain accessories used with the engine turned off.

Optima sells their batteries for automotive use, including the necessary pucks to adapt to various vehicles. So there should be no issue with charging them in a Sport Trac.

Last edited:

blksn8k

2nd Gen Owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
That might be the recommendation but I have four Yellow Tops and three of them are connected to standard Battery Tender brand trickle chargers as we speak. The one in my Kubota diesel tractor is at least ten years old. When the Motorcraft AGM in my '18 F-150 died a premature death last year under warranty I replaced it with the Yellow Top that I had in my '68 Cougar and put the new Motorcraft battery in the Cougar. Sorry old girl but I needed something more reliable in my DD.

Here's a photo of the one in my '75 Bronco with the 'Tender clips attached.

IMG_4685.jpg

EddieS'04

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
2 Wheel Drive
Reaction score
Years ago I read an article about optima chargers. Something about internal resistance they required a special float charger. Or you could burn it up. Dont know if the same is true now. Read this over 10yrs ago.

Tylerxp2

Stock Adrenaline Owner
1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
4 Wheel Drive
Reaction score
The yellow top Optima is more of a deep cycle battery. It is perfect for vehicles with accessories that can drain a battery more than usual. Winches, refrigerators and huge stereo systems played without the engine running are examples where a yellow top is the better choice.

When I used the yellow top battery that is now in my ST on the forklift, I used a charger with an AGM (absorbed glass mat) setting to optimize the charge rate and capacity since it was always used in a deep cycle application and it benefited from the smart monitoring of the charge.

The red top Optima is the standard choice for vehicles without high current drain accessories used with the engine turned off.

Optima sells their batteries for automotive use, including the necessary pucks to adapt to various vehicles. So there should be no issue with charging them in a Sport Trac.
Your post is exactly why I bought the yellow tow. Heavy use off road. Nothing like a dead battery in the desert and no bars in the phone.
We all have our reasons and needs for what we buy. Glad you used yours for your specific application and needs. Thanks for sharing.

Tylerxp2

Stock Adrenaline Owner
1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
4 Wheel Drive
Reaction score

Your post is exactly why I bought the yellow tow. Heavy use off road. Nothing like a dead battery in the desert and no bars in the phone.
We all have our reasons and needs for what we buy. Glad you used yours for your specific application and needs. Thanks for sharing.
My comment in charging was from a completely dead battery being charged back to life.
Glad your AGM battery works great for you.
I had no problems with my STA charging the yellow Optima for the 5+ years mine was in my truck. Its an excellent battery. I was happy with it powering my amp & stereo when camping with no problem and other needs as well.

blksn8k

2nd Gen Owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
My comment in charging was from a completely dead battery being charged back to life.
Glad your AGM battery works great for you.
I had no problems with my STA charging the yellow Optima for the 5+ years mine was in my truck. Its an excellent battery. I was happy with it powering my amp & stereo when camping with no problem and other needs as well.
Same here. I have yet to figure out how to kill a yellow top but I did have a red top die in my '99 Mustang Cobra several years ago. It has a yellow top now. Well worth the extra cost since they will outlast most other batteries and they are super reliable.

Todd Z

2nd Gen Owner
V6 Engine
V8 Engine
Reaction score
Hope I'm not jinxing myself, but my DieHard P-2 Group 65 AGM made by EnerSys is still going strong after installing it 12/11/09. @Todd Z recommended it back then, but I never expected anything close to this longevity. Unfortunately Sears discontinued these long ago. Hopefully there's something comparable when the time comes to replace it. 930CCA with 135 minute reserve.
Im still running the diehards form Advance auto,,,, they are back baby !!

Latest posts