Battery replaced

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard McAlister

Reaction score
Last couple of days, my '05 ST has been a little slow on starting. Yesterday it cranked slow and when it started it ran rough and the speedometer and tach pegged low and twitched. After a few seconds the idle smoothed out and the gauges acted normally.

Did a search here for symptoms and battery recommendations, then went to AutoZone for a new Duralast Gold battery.

I appreciate the help that can be found by looking at the site's previous threads.

:haveabeer:

Ford installed gremlins in the programing. It is to let us know to replace the battery. It is not in the book though..LOL

No, it's on page 1431 of the electrical service manual, which you have to buy separately of the general service manual. :toilet:

Low voltage and or amperage is a killer...

Er...OK... Dunno what this has with the topic, but currents between 50-150 mA do kill people. That's one reason why cars still have low Voltage electrical systems.

For those who don't know or haven't tried, the "non-serviceable" batteries that clearly have access panels on top can be opened up (usually with a flat blade screwdriver) and topped off with distilled water if they're low. I've re-watered completely dry "maintenance free" batteries and used them to start cars without any charging. I've kept decrepit old batteries going for years after they should have died. It's all because "maintenance free" batteries are just like regular flooded lead-acid batteries, but have a lot more electrolyte. Replace te boiled-off water from the electrolyte, and you have a fresh battery.

Do treat your ride to a fresh battery! Just remember that if you're stuck in the woods with a "dead" battery, need to get that beater to run one last run, want to sell your beater without putting money into it, or just want to preserve a numbers-correct prize classic, a jug of baby water can be your best friend.

Replace te boiled-off water from the electrolyte, and you have a fresh battery.

Not true. I have always serviced my batteries. They still Died when their time was up. Some really short lifed. I have my own chargers and load testers. Dont need the parts store to check it for me.

Topping off the battery only works if it was properly commissioned. If they didn't put enough electrolyte in each cell when it was new, adding more water isn't going to help matters.

Not true?

Son, have you ever heard of a hygrometer? Do you know what is in a lead-acid battery? That liquid is a solution of sulfuric acid and water. For peak performance, you need an ideal mixture.

Although there are true maintenance-free lead-acid batteries, the ones in most cars just use more electrolyte, in hopes of keeping the battery at least nominal until the warranty is up. As full-service gas stations foundered during the oil crises, so-called "worry-free" batteries were welcomed and promptly forgotten.

Back when I worked as an auto mechanic, I had plenty of "dead" car batteries to futz around with. It didn't take long to figure out that the two plaques that warned against many things came right off and exposed the fill holes that every old car battery had. There were even meniscus rings to show when each cell was full. It didn't take long to get back in the habit of maintaining our own batteries, and using a hygrometer to show customers that their batteries had a bad cell etc.

It should go without saying that maintaining the electrolyte will not prevent the plates from eventually failing. Common sense, folks. But IME checking and replacing the electrolyte on a regular basis, against the manufacturers' warnings, increases battery life significantly and can maximize things like cold cranking amps for winter starting. What's wrong with that?

I should have said "new" in the last paragraph of my last post. However had faith that (at least most) readers would understand, given the context...

Topping off the battery only works if it was properly commissioned. If they didn't put enough electrolyte in each cell when it was new, adding more water isn't going to help matters.

Good point.

We were an Interstate battery dealer, and had a kit that included concentrated sulfuric acid. I don't recall needing to add much, though. The acid ions bond to the plates as the battery discharges, so it was fairly hard to lose acid from the battery. But those 500A quick chargers and starter packs that we used back then cooked the water real good!

I don't know what removed the water from my "Jesus battery", but I was as surprised as anybody when it started the car.

Latest posts