Battery reset / speedometer is psycho

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taylor Weicht

Reaction score
Okay so two things going on that im not sure about. First one is i got in my truck, started it up just fine but it was like my battery had been disconnected. All my radio presets were lost. I checked the + and - connections on the battery itself and it looked fine. Any ideas?

Second thing thats weird is sometimes when i get to a red light and sit there for a sec, my speedometer needle gets a mind of its own and starts fluttering up and down with me sitting in one spot. It flutters up to about the 20 mph mark. It will go up and down until I start moving again. Once i get going though, its perfectly fine. Once again, any ideas why it would do that?

Help greatly appreciated

I would suggest that you battery is starting to fail.

When they start to fail, it is very common for speedo's to act weird as well as your misc. electrons to act as if they had no power. Loss of memory, radio flickers, remote door locks can act weird,,,,

I second that. Had that same issue on my older dodge truck I had. Pretty much exactly what you just described would happen when the battery was about to crap out.

In my '04. When the battery was going bad. It caused all kinds of gremlins. It would still start the trac. It would cause wierd stuff though. New battery, ever thing went back to normal.

well i think i figured out what it was. took it and got it tested (battery) and it tested normal...BUT the bolt was somewhat loose on the + side of the battery where the wire attaches. I was able to move the connection pretty freely which i hadn't noticed before. So i tightened it up today and well see if that fixes it

Latest posts