Bed extender

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan deJesus

Reaction score
I purchased a used bed extender for my 2010 Sport trac and after installing it i noticed that when i flip it inwards, it would hit the tonneau cover lock. Am i supposed to change the lock to give it more space? Any info on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

is the extender black or stainless? if it's stainless, you have the first gen 01-05 extender that won't fit with the 2nd gen tonneau cover brackets.

I'm using a 1st gen extender on my 2010, but i dont have a bed cover or latch brackets. if you want a bed cover and extender you will need the black one made for the 07-10 trucks. hard to find..

ALSO people sell the F-150 extender to ST people all the time.... ITS NOT THE SAME. I have modified 1 to fit, took about 2 hours of cutting and drilling.

Todd Z

is the extender black or stainless? if it's stainless, you have the first gen 01-05 extender that won't fit with the 2nd gen tonneau cover brackets.

I'm using a 1st gen extender on my 2010, but i dont have a bed cover or latch brackets. if you want a bed cover and extender you will need the black one made for the 07-10 trucks. hard to find..
You wouldn’t happen to know the model # of the black extender that fits 2nd gen ST’s do you? Everyone has the stainless 1u5a-19G299-AA for sale

"1u5a-19G299-AA". As Todd has said several times, that # is for the sticker only, and the sticker with that part # was used on all bed extenders, ST, F-150, etc.

I have one of the black extenders that I've used on my 2001 ST. Bought it off Craigslist without seeing it first. Was advertised as being off an F-150. Seller was driving a Chevy van when she delivered it to me at work, and I didn't ask what year F-150 as she was in a hurry to get to work. It fits my ST, but the angles differ from the stainless extenders, so it could be the one you need. I have a stainless one for each of my STs now and don't need this one. I'll sell it for a reasonable price, but it will have the push/pull pins like the stainless extenders, not the folding lever type pins it came with as I swapped those onto one of my others. It's in Des Moines, IA.

"1u5a-19G299-AA". As Todd has said several times, that # is for the sticker only, and the sticker with that part # was used on all bed extenders, ST, F-150, etc.

I have one of the black extenders that I've used on my 2001 ST. Bought it off Craigslist without seeing it first. Was advertised as being off an F-150. Seller was driving a Chevy van when she delivered it to me at work, and I didn't ask what year F-150 as she was in a hurry to get to work. It fits my ST, but the angles differ from the stainless extenders, so it could be the one you need. I have a stainless one for each of my STs now and don't need this one. I'll sell it for a reasonable price, but it will have the push/pull pins like the stainless extenders, not the folding lever type pins it came with as I swapped those onto one of my others. It's in Des Moines, IA.

What I’ve learned is that the 1st generation model extenders are slightly wider than the 2nd. They’ll all work on every year ST as long as you don’t have the hard top tonneau cover as the extender hits the side brackets when you attempt to flip it. If you have a black one & it has a sticker the number will be different than the one you listed. Ford parts diagrams show that number for 1st gen & a different one for the 2nd. If you could take a pic to confirm I’d be willing to buy it off of you.

Here are pics of the stainless 1st Gen extender and the black one that's supposedly from an F-150, but fits my '01 ST. At the mounting clips, the black one is slightly narrower, but with a little effort, it will clip onto a 1st Gen. See the 3rd pic. The other side is lined up at the clips. As you can see the vertical supports are further apart on the black one, but they can be easily moved if necessary. The extenders are essentially the same width, and are the same length front to back, but the angles on the side are completely different.
The black one currently has no locking pins in it because I swapped them into the 1st Gen extender, which is the first one I bought and it had none when I bought it. That's the reason I bought the black extender without caring what it fit - I just wanted the locking pins. If we make a deal, I'll put take the pins out of my other 1st Gen extender and put them in the black one. The different extenders use different pins, but they will interchange. I've found the pins aren't all that necessary, so I don't mind having one extender without them as long as I have one with them.
If you continue to insist on using the part # on the sticker to distinguish the different extenders, you're never going to find what you want because the # on the sticker is for the sticker, not the extender, just like the part # on the a/c decal on radiator supports, valve cover decals, etc, is for the decal, not the part it's on. I have these 2 extenders, which are clearly different parts, a second Gen 1 extender, and one from a full-size, wide bed F-150, and they all have the same decal with the same #.
Not sure of the best way to ship one of these. The black one is significantly lighter than the stainless, but the size will make shipping expensive. Disassembly would help, but I don't know how much.

20191124_162657.jpg
20191124_162606.jpg
20191124_162722.jpg

Well, the black one is definitely more narrow than the silver & that extra width is what’s keeping me from using it on my ST with the tonneau cover. Let me know how much you want for it & how much shipping would be. If disassembling it makes it cheaper I’m all for it. Thanks for replying.

I stopped at the UPS shipping center at the main terminal here to find out how this should be measured for shipping. Surprisingly, there were no customers there at 5:20, so I had the attention of both clerks. The news was not great. I decided to post what I found out as a reference for others since this question comes up from time to time. Info is for shipping from Iowa to Indiana.

It gets measured as if it's boxed, whether it actually is or not. Assembled, it measures roughly 48x25x18. It weighs about 10 pounds as is, without any packaging. (The stainless extender is probably 5 lbs heavier.) In a box that size @ 12 pounds, the lowest cost is $278.70. It ships as 131 lbs. Without a box, it's another $10 as an irregular package.

Disassembled, in a box 48x25x10 @12 lbs, it ships as 73lbs, and the cost is $61.

It might weigh a little more than 12 lbs by the time I get it boxed, but it could well be less than 10" high. The tubes are 1 1/2", so it could easily get down to 6-8" which would cut the cost. These are retail prices.

Yowza! Can I ask if that was USPS retail ground rates? I’ve come across this issue before & I understand this program is for larger items that don’t count as postage or as freight. Kind of in between. Sorry, I just can’t pay that much. I might be better off modifying the one I have

Those are UPS retail prices. I didn't check USPS rates. I prefer using the postal service for most things, but for a large package I'll use UPS just because they're better equipped to deal with large packages. I work a block from the main post office and sorting facility, and the main UPS terminal is on the way home, so both are convenient. Rates might be better through PayPal, but still probably $40 or more. Still more than I'd want to pay.

I don't know how much clearance you need, but I'd think the stainless extenders could handle some serious flattening if that's all that's needed to gain enough clearance.

Yeah, I was thinking more around $80 total. Looks like the shopping industry has other ideas. I’m sure I’ll end up modifying the one I have. Although, I suspect I’ll be a little more delicate than smashing the tubes in to fit. lol I appreciate your effort. Have a nice holiday.

They charge Dimensional weight.... they all suck !! to ship one to NY was $208 !!!
They can be taken apart to save space... its not that bad to do..