Best "Newer" Sport Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carl beasley

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
2 wheel drive
Reaction score
I have a 2001 Sport Trac, 210k-ish miles. Looking to purchase a newer Trac. Pros/Cons of newer V6/V8 automatic. Was thinking about a 4x4 but doubt I could take it off roading.... love the truck too much. Mud/water not a problem... paint scratches too much to do a truck.

Any thoughts or guidance of a Trac with minimum "bugs"?

Thanks,
Carl

Just find one that has been maintained and low miles. Honestly, unless you really want a 4WD a 2WD with LSD will do just fine in most cases. If you do a lot of soft sand, then yes, lean towards a 4WD.

Issue with the newer trucks is the parts.... all the electronics are not available any more. if something fails, its done. They have rebuilders and other repair places but its a headache to deal with.

Right. I had a board on my '07 go out - a soldered on relay failed and it took 4 months to find a new one. Then it had to be programmed with the VIN. It cost $$$. I'm pretty sure I got one of the last newcones available. The dealer refused to program a used one.

I keep my 2001 running and it keeps me happy! Blown one engine, two trannys, two fuel pumps, lots of tires ... love it! Has the scars to prove it! Next fix the flat driver seat ...

Issue with the newer trucks is the parts.... all the electronics are not available any more. if something fails, its done. They have rebuilders and other repair places but its a headache to deal with.
Todd Z,
Are you referring to the ECM?

BCM, ECM, IPC, TCM, anti theft, G sensor, all the goodies.

Well that sucks!
I had to replace the ECM around this time last year.
Purchased from AutoECMS without a hitch. Had to program at Ford. Thankfully I am friendly with a tech and only paid $100 for programming.

Latest posts