Best quiet drive belt

Help Support SportTrac.org:

Reaction score
My 05 XLT is squeaking upon start up but will go away after giving it some throttle and warming it up. I recently replace the tensioner, idler pulley, and the belt (Dayco Premium) and it’s still squeaking. Can’t pinpoint it to anything in particular so I’m assuming it’s just the belt is noisy, I’ve heard they can be. Does anyone have a good suggestion for a quieter option? It’s got 205k miles if that will narrow my options at all. Ive got a Flowmaster on it and a squeaky start up really takes away from the sound.

Reaction score
I should mention I looked for gator backs by Goodyear and can’t find anything to fit mine. Also, what’s the proper length of the belt for the 4.0 SOHC?

swshawaii

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
2 Wheel Drive
Reaction score
Continental Elite 4060865 (formerly Goodyear Gatorback) FTW.

DILLARD000

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
4 Wheel Drive
Reaction score
Ditto on GoodYearGatorBack=ContinentalElite, grippy & quiet.
Replace Every 6years\67kMiles
~ 0i840=0m021Wide * 87i38=2m219Long \ Ford# 4L5z-8620-ea \ Ford# jk6-873-ea
~ 0i840=0m021Wide * 87i20=2m215Long \ Continental# 4060872 \ GatorBack# 6pk2215
~ 0i840=0m021Wide * 87i00=2m210Long \ Continental# 4060870 \ GatorBack# 6pk2210 Preferred
Click here for more info.

Last edited:

Todd Z

2nd Gen Owner
V6 Engine
V8 Engine
Reaction score
Dayco sucks..... I only use Gates..... Also K060860 Get the 1/2" shorter.... HUGE difference !!

curtis james

Reaction score
i would make sure it is your belt and not a faulty new tensioner, weather has some effect but generally a squeaky belt on start up or quick revving is slippage, worn belt or tennioner, both new one is faulty. could spray tensioner before starting truck and see, just do not spray belt or it will not squeak. much easier then taking one off to find out it was other.

Max8

2nd Gen Owner
V6 Engine
Reaction score
I had a similar problem with my 05 ST, after changing belt, tensioner, idler pulley with no change. After chasing all this found harmonic balancer rubber dry rotting and letting it hit against the crank position sensor. You might want to check it as after start up it would quit within 2 minutes or so.

Guswah

Reaction score
I also have the infamous squeak on a cold start. As a second owner, I have no idea how long the serp belt has been on my truck, but out of caution I was about to replace it anyway.

I'm glad to have the expertise of others, but when I search the link above, "serpentine belt 4060870 6pk2210" recommended by Dillard, Amazon's algorithm immediately tells me "This does not fit 2005 Sport Trac". Can anyone comment? I presume it's because this belt is a few mills shorter than the OEM recommended one, but some clarification would be helpful.

BTW, the belt I'm referring to is the Continental 4060870 OE Technology. It says nothing about "Gator Back".

DILLARD000

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
4 Wheel Drive
Reaction score
The 4060870 belt does fit the V6~4.0L~SOHC;
understand fitment specs at Amazon\Ebay\LocalPartsCounter are not absolute gospel.
Thats the part on my engine now without issue & without any noise\slip.
GoodYearGatorBack & ContinentalElite are the same belt, just different branding\packages;
understand Continental is a division of GoodYear;
think about Lincoln as a division of Ford with identical products in slightly different packages.
Belt tensioner allows for an inch+ variation in length,
recommend one slightly shorter than the MotorCraft OEM.
A belt longer than the OEM will obviously be too loose;
one too short makes problems getting it on & will likely excessively stress pulley bearings.
Best to use what makes you comfortable, your vehicle, your judgement call.
2001.Ford_Engi.Belt_4of4_Tens_Ford.1L5e-6b209-ac.GIF

Last edited:

swshawaii

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
2 Wheel Drive
Reaction score
Goodyear Gatorback or Continental Elite 4060865 is the perfect length.
Gatorback or Elite belts are completely different from OE Technology's conventional 6 rib design.

From linked pics in post #3. Note centered tensioner mark in bottom pic.

Last edited:

DILLARD000

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
4 Wheel Drive
Reaction score
Had that Tensioner off several times to clean+lube & never noticed\realized the centering mark.
Thanks for that bit of info.

Larry Holmes

Reaction score
I also have the infamous squeak on a cold start. As a second owner, I have no idea how long the serp belt has been on my truck, but out of caution I was about to replace it anyway.

I'm glad to have the expertise of others, but when I search the link above, "serpentine belt 4060870 6pk2210" recommended by Dillard, Amazon's algorithm immediately tells me "This does not fit 2005 Sport Trac". Can anyone comment? I presume it's because this belt is a few mills shorter than the OEM recommended one, but some clarification would be helpful.

BTW, the belt I'm referring to is the Continental 4060870 OE Technology. It says nothing about "Gator Back".
I like RockAuto for things like this. Guaranteed return if it is wrong, bigger selection, and drum roll, always more economical.

Latest posts