Best quiet drive belt

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
My 05 XLT is squeaking upon start up but will go away after giving it some throttle and warming it up. I recently replace the tensioner, idler pulley, and the belt (Dayco Premium) and it’s still squeaking. Can’t pinpoint it to anything in particular so I’m assuming it’s just the belt is noisy, I’ve heard they can be. Does anyone have a good suggestion for a quieter option? It’s got 205k miles if that will narrow my options at all. Ive got a Flowmaster on it and a squeaky start up really takes away from the sound.

I should mention I looked for gator backs by Goodyear and can’t find anything to fit mine. Also, what’s the proper length of the belt for the 4.0 SOHC?

Ditto on GoodYearGatorBack=ContinentalElite, grippy & quiet.
Replace Every 6years\67kMiles
~ 0i840=0m021Wide * 87i38=2m219Long \ Ford# 4L5z-8620-ea \ Ford# jk6-873-ea
~ 0i840=0m021Wide * 87i20=2m215Long \ Continental# 4060872 \ GatorBack# 6pk2215
~ 0i840=0m021Wide * 87i00=2m210Long \ Continental# 4060870 \ GatorBack# 6pk2210 Preferred
Click here for more info.

2001.Ford_Engi.Belt_2of4_Serp.GIF
2001.Ford_Engi.Belt_1of4.GIF

Last edited:
Dayco sucks..... I only use Gates..... Also K060860 Get the 1/2" shorter.... HUGE difference !!

i would make sure it is your belt and not a faulty new tensioner, weather has some effect but generally a squeaky belt on start up or quick revving is slippage, worn belt or tennioner, both new one is faulty. could spray tensioner before starting truck and see, just do not spray belt or it will not squeak. much easier then taking one off to find out it was other.

I had a similar problem with my 05 ST, after changing belt, tensioner, idler pulley with no change. After chasing all this found harmonic balancer rubber dry rotting and letting it hit against the crank position sensor. You might want to check it as after start up it would quit within 2 minutes or so.

I also have the infamous squeak on a cold start. As a second owner, I have no idea how long the serp belt has been on my truck, but out of caution I was about to replace it anyway.

I'm glad to have the expertise of others, but when I search the link above, "serpentine belt 4060870 6pk2210" recommended by Dillard, Amazon's algorithm immediately tells me "This does not fit 2005 Sport Trac". Can anyone comment? I presume it's because this belt is a few mills shorter than the OEM recommended one, but some clarification would be helpful.

BTW, the belt I'm referring to is the Continental 4060870 OE Technology. It says nothing about "Gator Back".

The 4060870 belt does fit the V6~4.0L~SOHC;
understand fitment specs at Amazon\Ebay\LocalPartsCounter are not absolute gospel.
Thats the part on my engine now without issue & without any noise\slip.
GoodYearGatorBack & ContinentalElite are the same belt, just different branding\packages;
understand Continental is a division of GoodYear;
think about Lincoln as a division of Ford with identical products in slightly different packages.
Belt tensioner allows for an inch+ variation in length,
recommend one slightly shorter than the MotorCraft OEM.
A belt longer than the OEM will obviously be too loose;
one too short makes problems getting it on & will likely excessively stress pulley bearings.
Best to use what makes you comfortable, your vehicle, your judgement call.
2001.Ford_Engi.Belt_4of4_Tens_Ford.1L5e-6b209-ac.GIF

Last edited:
Last edited:
Had that Tensioner off several times to clean+lube & never noticed\realized the centering mark.
Thanks for that bit of info.

Marks should also be on the OE tensioner. Appears to be made by Gates.

NT5uwHu.jpg
nZ30Sja.jpg

I also have the infamous squeak on a cold start. As a second owner, I have no idea how long the serp belt has been on my truck, but out of caution I was about to replace it anyway.

I'm glad to have the expertise of others, but when I search the link above, "serpentine belt 4060870 6pk2210" recommended by Dillard, Amazon's algorithm immediately tells me "This does not fit 2005 Sport Trac". Can anyone comment? I presume it's because this belt is a few mills shorter than the OEM recommended one, but some clarification would be helpful.

BTW, the belt I'm referring to is the Continental 4060870 OE Technology. It says nothing about "Gator Back".
I like RockAuto for things like this. Guaranteed return if it is wrong, bigger selection, and drum roll, always more economical.

I had a similar problem with my 05 ST, after changing belt, tensioner, idler pulley with no change. After chasing all this found harmonic balancer rubber dry rotting and letting it hit against the crank position sensor. You might want to check it as after start up it would quit within 2 minutes or so.
What’s the fix for that if it is the problem? I put the new one on and it’s still squeaking intermittently on start up. How would I go about searching for that?

"I put the the new one on"; do you mean HarmonicBalancer or SerpBelt?
Can remove Belt & start a cold engine, to see if HarmonicBalancer squeeks.
But do NOT let it run more than 30~45secs without coolant circulating.

BTW people saying the .5 shorter belt is no good...… FORD switched it on the Gen 2 to guess what ????? the .5 shorter !!!!!

Yeah, they listened.....

Dayco sucks..... I only use Gates..... Also K060860 Get the 1/2" shorter.... HUGE difference !!
Todd...is this GATES belt the 1/2" shorter one? Rock Auto does say it fits a 2nd gen ST.

Is the belt INSTALLATION TOOL necessary or does this go on easily?

you can just use a ratchet with a long handle..... There is enough room to make it work.... I have the tool and never used it on a ST yet...

Latest posts