bigger oil filter?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raser x

Reaction score
I have been reading that you can switch from the stock size filter (fram TG2) to a larger size like on my Ranger (fram TG8A). The TG2 and TG8A dont interchange different thread diameters. But I don't know what bigger filter would fit a Sporttrac. Anybody running a larger than stock oil filter? If so what is the Stock number. The obvious advantage is more filter media...any disadvantages?

Thanks Guys Do for an oil change and want the wifes Baby to run forever....

Raserx:)

Hmmm, if you can't find a direct replacement, you might could buy a filter relocation kit that'll use a larger oil filter, plus you could mount it in a easier to get to location.

Not running a filter is about the same as running a Fram.

Things to look out for are the bypass pressure valve and having an anti-drainback valve. Just because it fits does not mean it is better.

Tom

This link is what got me wondering...anybody got a better link? Quality seem to be in short supply...since most filters are made by a few manufacturers and re labeled

Raserx

I've wondered about a longer filter, too. I always was able to run a longer filter on my chevy's and dodges. Is there a longer filter for the SportTrac?

The problem with the ST is that Ford Racing does not do anything with the 4.0. What engine is in your Ranger? A bigger filter probably won't mean better performance. A better filter definitely will. I run Ford and NAPA Gold filters only, in that order. I have run Walmart filters and found them to be extremely competetive. I thought about the K@N filter but don't think I need one since I run synthetic. I would say NAPA and Ford are the way to go. Fram is good but reaches it's limits earlier. All that means is that you should change it halfway between oil changes. I hope this helps.

Ed

If the filter nipple that threads into the block is not metric on both sides, you can change the nipple to the standard thread one. Or as stated get a relocation kit. I can see the longer filter hanging down a little further, but not enough to be a problem...

I think there is a straight 6 dodge filter that can replace or interchange with the short ford filter...

Todd Z

Latest posts