Bigger wheels/tires for 2008 Limited

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DKF

2008 Limited
Reaction score
I’m a newer member, bought a really clean 2008 Limited a few months ago. I want to upgrade the wheels and tires. Has anyone gone to the 20” versus the original 18” wheels that came on it? If so, how does it look, hopefully someone has pics of theirs with the larger wheel/tire combo. Also, did it affect the smooth ride? One thing I love about the Sport Trac is it has a very smooth ride. I test drove a newer year Frontier before I bought this and immediately dismissed it because it drove like a huge truck, just floaty and jumpy. Then I found this Sport Trac and was really impressed by ride and handling. So I wouldn’t want to mess it up with radically different wheel/tires. Just enough to make it a little beefier looking and modernize it a bit. Would love any suggestions. Here’s a couple pics of my truck today:
37F5101C-6963-49D5-88DE-80896D3C9541.jpeg
E797670F-6275-43F7-8449-43F7A649C932.jpeg

I have 2010 XLT with 57,000 miles and did a 3" front and 2" rear leveling kit couple with 33x12.5x18 Toyo ATS lll tires. Very minor trimming to front interior liner. Speedo off by roughly 10% due to larger tires and mpg off by the same 10%

Well I definitely don’t want to lift it. And I never even thought about incorrect speedo and worse gas mileage. I’ll stick with the original size rims when I replace them…thx

on my 07 i put some 20s and a little more aggressive tires, looked great and the ride was super soft , the tires were toyos. it had a wider stance but not much, i thought it rode better then stock, much softer ride. i had maybe 50 miles on truck when i did it. I could dig up receipt for size if needed, was a pricey upgrade. now that i am older not sure i would do it again but it definitely changed the look. made it look way more aggressive.

not the best pic, its the only one i have at the moment, it did not mess with my speedo, my other trac it did after the 33s

D, you've got a great looking truck. I went with aftermarket 18"x 8.5" wheels and 265x60 tires, which doesn't affect the speedo and gives a beefier look without sacrificing the ride in any way.

Attachments

• DSCI2418.JPG
    DSCI2418.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCI2420.JPG
    DSCI2420.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCI2421.JPG
    DSCI2421.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20171031_162903_169.jpg
    IMG_20171031_162903_169.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 86
D, you've got a great looking truck. I went with aftermarket 18"x 8.5" wheels and 265x60 tires, which doesn't affect the speedo and gives a beefier look without sacrificing the ride in any way.
Looks really nice, jetmech. I guess I’m a bit old school because I still like chrome wheels. These black wheels that are all the rage just remind me of wheels that are missing hubcaps.

Looks really nice, jetmech. I guess I’m a bit old school because I still like chrome wheels. These black wheels that are all the rage just remind me of wheels that are missing hubcaps.
The headlights are really cool too- easy to swap out?

how funny,, missing hubcaps, i am old and painting my wheels black has saved me so much time trying to make chrome not look cheap and dirty. ya could get some gold honeycomb wheels and really look nostalgic

Yeah, those would be a throwback. Only problem with chrome is the car washes in our city give you the automatic armor - all on your tire’s - so you get to wipe it off your chrome wheels after every time through the wash.

Just look at my library….

The headlights are really cool too- easy to swap out?
Yes, the headlight swap is easy. But my latest headlights took some work. This is off topic for the thread, but since you asked, I've now just completed my own build of Bi-Xenon HID Projector headlights and decided to get rid of the chrome at the same time.

Attachments

• IMG_E3943.JPG
    IMG_E3943.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_E3977.JPG
    IMG_E3977.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_E3979.JPG
    IMG_E3979.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_E3985.JPG
    IMG_E3985.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_E3980.JPG
    IMG_E3980.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 68
After finding the stock 20" tires that came with the truck kept wearing out every 20,000 miles, I changed to a wider tire and went with Bridgetone. I added 2 inches width. I made sure the tire size would not affect the speedometer though. The tire place was great in telling me what tires would work. The ride changed a lot with better tires.

Latest posts