Black Magic, Question....

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Phillips

Reaction score
I was looking through your rollpan build up pictures, and I had a question. Forgive me, I've never done fiberglass builds before, and I'm just trying to learn as much as I can before I attempt it. Then, I figure the best way to learn is to do...

I saw this picture, and it looks like the foam block shaved sanded and shaped to your design. First, what's holding it to the back of the truck?

[Broken External Image]:

Then I saw these two shots, but it doesn't look like foam anymore, is it?

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Larry, in that first shot I think that stool is holding it up against the truck.

1st picture- looks like the seat is holding it up

2nd and 3rd pic- looks like he has brackets on them. and he might have resined it then added soem fibergalss to reinforce on the insde, and it looks like was at the bondo stage.

Boodro

Larry, I suggest getting some resin and fg mat and practice a bit. It will take a bit of practice to get the resin mixture correct so you have time to use it all before it begins to cure, as well as, mixing it properly so that it does cure. It's not that difficult but if you haven't done it before this will be a big help. You'll need some disposable paint brushes (cheapies), probably one quart paint buckets (flexible so you can pop out dried resin), long sleeve shirt and sweats for working with the fg mat (cutting to size etc), a GOOD gas mask (prevent from burning too many brain cells, and disposable rubber gloves. I may be forgetting something but these will be most of the necessities. Whatever clothes you wear make sure they are junk, if you get resin on them, and you probably will.

dont get the resin on you, it burns.....I learn that every time I FG.

Go to this website they have many products that are excellent.

selectproducts.com

ps.- i would suggest getting the metal rollers they help with gettin air bubbles out.

Boodro

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll send you some links tomorrow, hopefully they'll still be good. There used to be a group on yahoo groups called glassman customs you may want to look for it. I did a quick check but didn't find it.

go to 12volt.com/installbay then go to the fiberglass section....lots and lots of info on there and many pros to help yah.

boodro

Something else to keep in mind with the resin, if you make it too strong it will cure way to quick, get too hot and there is a good chance that the piece you are working on will warp. I've read it a million times and I've done it as well. That will truly suck, because there is pretty much no way to save the piece once warped. So definately play with the mix and mat a little before starting.

I'm pretty sure the method used to make the roll pan is known as the "lost mold process", <a href="http://therangerstation.com/tech_library/CustomInteriorPieces.htm" target="top">here</a> is an example on a small project.

Basically, you create a positive from foam of your final piece slighty smaller then the desired finished size. Then you cover and protect the form, the link suggests drywall putty and latex paint. Cover the panel with fiberglass, let the FBG cure, then chip the foam out. You can still see a bit of foam inside the FBG piece. Mounting it would be as 'simple' as fabbing up brackets and fiberglassing them to the inside of the piece. Something like a large L bracket would probably work. One leg would be drilled to mount to the frame, with the other leg being FBG'd into the roll pan.

Thanks for the help guys.

Yea, the first pic shows the foam held up with the stool. It was hydro lift-able and made it eady to held into place while I shaped it. The second pic shows the plug with a layer of glass and then body filler shanded into final shape. The third pic shows the bracketry that I used to hold the plug in place while I sanded up the body filler. Yea, the risen got a little hot but no warping as it only held the bracketry to the plug.

The final part has a simular backetry to mount it to the truck.

Larry, if you were close to me I would love to help you with your project. Hit me up with any questions you have!

Also check out this forum for more FG help.

Larry, check your email. I sent a bunch of links. Though they mainly deal with fg enclosures, they will give you tips and ideas on how and what to do. Start reading, I know I spent alot of time reading before and while I was working with fg. Also check <a href="http://www.the12volt.com"target=top>the12volt.com</a> forums as well. Again will be more audio stuff but people like to document what they are doing and how.

Got your email Ed, thanks! I'll check them as time permits. (limited email time down here)

So Matt, I take it you then shaved the foam block alot smaller than the first picture to make up for the layer of glass?

Larry, if you were close to me I would love to help you with your project.

Careful what you wish for, I've got orders to Scott AFB. (And I'm from St. Charles, I used to live pretty much across the highway from Stiegemeyer Porting. I went to school with his daughter) If my Air Force Specialty Code (my career) change doesn't affect my orders, I'll be there in March!

Thanks again for everyone's help, and all the links! That's what I love about this site! When I get a place to do it, I'm going to start making practice pieces, and get a feel for the technique. Maybe even pay my dad back with a new center console in his Bronco II for some of the work he's done for me on the ST.

Oh... Yea, the foam needs to be smaller by about 3/16" - 1/4" for glass and filler. You can always take off body filler and add if needed. But the fiberglass is a pain to grind and keep a good shape.