bleed brakes

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Fenwick

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Aloha, I replaced the front calipers on wife's Jeep. I have used an 8 ounce can of fluid so far and the pedal still goes to the floor. Do new calipers hold a lot of fluid? I don't see any bubbles come out through the hose! Do I just keep going and adding another can of fluid?

Tks Ed

Hmm ... seems that eight ounces should be enough to replenish, but it depends on the type of caliper (number of pistons - one, two, three, four or six).

I would take this opportunity to flush the entire system. Get a large container of fluid, or two (can always return what is not opened), ensure there are no leaks, and bleed 'em 'til the new fluid starts to come out (starting with the wheel farthest from the master) as a steady stream.

I use a suction bulb to lower the master cylinder level. To just above the piston.

Even if I only do front pads. I bleed rear and front. Takes me about 32 to 40 oz's. To clear out the old fluid. I dont like pushing the old master cylinder fluid thru the system.

If you have dual piston calipers. 8 oz's maynot be enough. You may have a bleeder not sealing. I tried the speed bleeders, last time. They didnot hold, and sucked air.

I have used this method several times with no problems. Make sure you keep the reservoir full. Looks like you are getting air back in when bleeding. Plenty other you tube videos as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfTmlOZbXgs

If you replaced the calipers, you should flush out all the old fluid anyway. When you disconnected the old calipers you lost the fluid in the calipers and the brake line probably drained out the fluid as well....so yes, it takes more fluid to refill and bleed the air out of the brakes...and you need to start bleeding at the rear even though you only replaced the front calipers.

...Rich

Ditto all. Only makes sense to flush out the old contaminated fluid. Valvoline synthetic DOT 3 & 4 costs around $10 per quart, and available everywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard to believe it took this guy over 4 minutes to explain this method...:bwahaha::cheeky:

Almost fell asleep........:bwahaha:

l1tech,

Good point. I that problem once, when I bought a used VW in Germany that had two right side calipers?? The bleed screw was on the bottom on the drivers side and could not be bled. The redneck solution was to unbolt the caliper, turn it so the bleeder screw was at the top, insert a block of wood between the pads and bleed the caliper off the car, and then remount the caliper.

I suspect a previous owner had problems with the drivers side caliper and picked on up at the junk yard and may or may not have know that he got a right side caliper. :smack:

...Rich

Thanks guys, not reversed calipers, no air coming from either one. Must be some ware else. I'll keep going.

Tks Ed

Ed,

When you disconnected the brake hose from the caliper, it probably drained the brake lines and let air in the master cylinder. If you get air in the master cylinder, it's almost impossible to get the air out of the brake lines until you bleed the master cylinder before you bleed the brakes.

...Rich

L1tech, you are right. My face is red, I did have them reversed. It was hard to see but the bleeders were just a bit lower so the air was above. Tha is for making me take a third look.

Ed

Amazing how much this still happens, even with experienced mechanics. :banghead:

Latest posts