Blinking C/E Light, Rough Running, Loss of Power, Etc.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Housman

Reaction score
Tonight I was making a quick run to the store when I started having some issues with the Trac. While I was at a traffic light it started idling rough out of nowhere. The rpm's kept going up and down but not over 1k. The gauge lights and headlights began dimming and the check engine light came on and started blinking. When I stepped on the gas the lights got brighter as they would normally be but the trac was very sluggish and I began hearing a clicking sound while driving and stopped. I pulled into a parking lot and turned the truck off and on a few times and nothing changed. I drove it straight over to the shop I go to(I had an appointment to get it inspected tomorrow anyway) and when I pulled in the lot my wife was there and she said "That doesn't sound good". Well I'm hoping for the best.

Now before you guys kill me I searched around but really couldn't find anything solid on this problem. Most of the info on this board from past posts seems to be a misfire. It drove fine all day today and Sunday I put close to 400 miles on it with no probs. Anyone else ever have this problem and can give some insight?

Cracked elbow, Bad IAC, or even a bad altornator...

Todd Z