Blown Engine

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Curiosity more than anything has me writing this post. First off I really do like my Sport TracIve kept it since new in 01, but in Spring of 06 with 64k and 30 days left on my extended warranty, a warranty I only bought because it was my next door neighbor selling me the truck, I completely blew the engine. Good news is I got a brand new, out of the crate engine for the low, low price of $200 dollars but now that I have almost 50k on the new engine Im beginning to get a little nervous Befor you ask; I changed and do change my oil every 3-5k depending on my driving style. It gave me great pleasure to turn over every single receipt for oil changes to AutoNation when they went that route on my warranty claim.

Question would be, what is the exact definition of "blown engine?" What exactly went wrong? There have been a few(very few on the site) cases of a bad valve spring, which COULD do enough damage to the engine to require a rebuild/replacement. But that's all I can recall. Auto tranny's have been a bigger issue to most. Personally, if you check/replace your fluids regularly you should be fine, IMO.

I was so nervous about my warranty that once I found out I still had it in effect everything else became moot, besides I was several hundred miles from home and was concentrating more on working out the details between the rental car, missing more work to get truck back, rental reimbursements etc. I can say radiator fluid was freely flowing through the exhaust pipe when we loaded up the truck on the back of a flat bed. Thats when I know it was serious. All I remember the service manager saying was catastrophic failure when something broke and went through something else. My ST is an automatic.

Thanks,