Bought a Mercury Mariner...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainTrac

Reaction score
We've been looking for a while for a third vehicle for my wife to drive to work during the school year/winter so that we can "stable" the Mustang for the winter, and also keep its mileage down since we plan to keep it long-term as a show/collector car.

We really liked the Edge rental that we drove on vacation in FL last summer, so we thought we'd look for one of those. We didn't want to buy new, and finally decided that we didn't want to spend over $20K nor buy anything with over 30K miles on it.. Well, after searching the market in our area for a few months, we finally realized that we wouldn't have much luck getting a used Edge that would meet those criteria. So I suggested to Allyssa that we look at the Escape/Mariner. We found several "program" vehicles at dealers in our area, and went and test drove a few.

We finally settled upon and bought a 2008 Mercury Mariner Premier 4WD V6. It had about 27K miles on it, and we got it for under $20K. It was an off-lease vehicle, and in great shape. It's black w/black leather, and loaded with just about every option for that year except navigation and tow package. It doesn't have Sync; that didn't arrive in the Escape/Mariner 'til 2009. We really like it. Very comfortable and lots of interior room for a small CUV/SUV. The back seat even seems more roomy than my Sport Trac. The 3.0 V6 performs well, and the Mariner really handles well with the short wheelbase. It's very easy to drive in tight areas like crowded parking lots. I also feel better about Allyssa having a 4WD vehicle to drive during the winter months. Much safer for her and Mark.

And with the incurable modding bug in my veins, I've already added OEM rubber floor mats, rear cargo mat, and splash guards (purchased from Torrie) and SilverStar H13 headlight bulbs. SilverStar 9145's for the fogs and a K&N air filter are next!

Hell, I'm liking this vehicle so much that whenever I'm ready to get rid of the Sport Trac, if I can't find a suitable Gen II Trac as a replacement, I'll seriously consider looking at an Escape.

And, this Mercury Mariner is now a collector's item, right?:grin:

Congrats! My wife drives an '05 Mariner. Premier addition, leather, tow package, everything except rear back up sensors. It also has the 3.0. A nice sponky little engine.

Yes it is a great around town grocery getter. Much easier to park then the ol' Trac. Great in the winter, also. Only thing we have noticed after driving it to Maine (13 hour trip) when we first got it, it is not near as comfy as the Trac. And the mpg of the 3.0 isnt much better then my 4.0. So, long trips its always the Trac for us. Like a Caddy on long trips compaired to the Merc.

She also likes the Edges and would like to trade up someday.....

Good luck!

Train Trac,

The wife and I have had a two Escapes, 05 and now have a 08, along with a 97 Power Stroke,, oh don't let me forget the 08 ST.. Kinda makes us a Ford family I guess. I drove the 05 a couple of times to Nova Scotia from Denver, 6k round trip. The only complaint I have was the twelve gallon gas tank. The Escapes have been snow eaters here in the Denver area. Enjoy......

TT,, you made a good choice. We had an '01 escape xlt v6 lost to houston flooding. Replaced it with a'08 ecape v6 xlt. Fine little suv. I like the mariner more so. Dressier looks. It doesnt matter now. the divorce she got the escape I got the trac( better deal). But The '09 v6 has 40 more HP and torque. They upped the compression and made the exhaust and intake cams independently varible They are real peppy now. Handle well and got the poop to move on when needed. If I had the funds for a second car it would be an '09 or above.

The only complaint I had from the '01 to the '08 was. The '01 with the 235/70-16 wheels seemed to handle better than the '08 with the 225,65-17 wheels. Other than that they were both fun to drive.

One tip is to keep an eye on the trans cooler they had some that leaked on the '08s. Probably changed manufacturors. Other wise the '01 only needed lubeservice. Tires and front pads at 50k. Served us well. Good choice..post some pics...:supercool:

Dont know of others experiance but, I considered the 3.0 L bullit proof. I pushed it hard. Congrats on your choice...:banana:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the compliments and words of experience, all.

The only complaint I have about the Mariner so far is that the OEM Continental ContiTrac tires are loud as hell. I hope they wear out soon so I can justify replacing them with better, more quiet tires.

Latest posts