Brake booster switch?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler Colvin

Reaction score
I took the advice of a fellow traccer, and pulled the wires from the switch connected to the brake booster to trouble shoot my lack of a cruise control. Wires off, jumper inplace and:driving: Yay! cruise works fine; and it works normally, pressing the brake pedal turns the cruise off. Just for the record just what the hell des this switch do, other than drive people crazy:angry: and possibly light a candle under the hood :fire:?

It detects the change in fluid pressure when you step on the brakes. It then sends a signal to the on-board computer telling it to turn off the cruise control. The old version of the switch had a circuit in it that could stick and stay hot, building up temperatures until it caused a fire. That's why Ford put a jumper harness that has a fuse if the switch isn't leaking. I would strongly suggest changing out the switch, especially if it's the old style red one. See the attached link for examples.

As far as I know that is the only switch. They used to put a mechanical switch on the brake arm lever. I have never looked but maybe it has redundent switches.

Latest posts