Brake dust

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rafael F

Reaction score
Anyone know how to reduce brake dust on my front wheels. I have a 04 ST with 26K, I just changed the front rotors and brakes. They started to squeal and now I have alot of brake dust on my front wheels. I have less than 1k on the new brakes. Both parts (rotor and brake pads) where purchased from a Ford dealer:blink:

There is a company that makes dust shields however, I personally think they leave something to be desired with their looks. The only other suggestion I have is look in to some different pads, that can make a world of difference.

Ceramic pads. Other than that they have those discs that you mount on the inside of the rim. To reduce the squeel, get brake grease. You put it on the back of the pads and any part where there is metal to metal contact.;)

Ceramic Pads. Nuff Said ;) I had the exact same problem, switched to ceramic and never have buildup of brake dust on my shiney chrome wheels ;)

Throw out the junk Motorcraft pads...

Mine went at 6K miles...

I Installed Ceramics 4 weeks ago, No squeaks and NO brake dust..

Todd Z

I have quite a bit of dust with my 2004 as well on new factory pads (just had them replaced at 10k under warranty. Solutions are ceramic pads or the Kleen wheels disc that mount inside the rim. I think I'm going to get the ceramic pads. However, one advantage to the Kleen wheels disc though is that is also covers the rusty look of rotors/calipers. You can get the disc in different finishes and colors but those ones are quite expensive. I would think that you could also paint them yourself.

Marvin

There are only a hand full of manufacturers out there , just a thousand different boxes....

Autozone, Pepboys, autobarn, Mostly all the same....

Todd Z

Any suggested brand of ceramic pads that are better than another or are all ceramic pads about the same?

I think they're all about the same, but I've put NAPA's Ceramix pads on three of my vehicles in the past couple years and I like them real well. They don't cost as much as the others either.

I have a set of Morse ceramics from Autozone that I installed a couple months ago. So far they are working well, no noise and no dust.

I made the mistake of having the dealer replace the pads last winter (I don't have a garage) and ended up with huge amounts of brake dust from the Ford replacement pads. My chrome rims were nearly black with the amount of dust produced.

Latest posts