brake pedal/ accelerator pedal issues

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Stouffer

Reaction score
Seems my brake pedal is the same height as the accelerator pedal. When I push the brake it is easy to push the accelerator at the same time. Very scarey. Anyone else have this issue? Remedy?

I have not had that issue. You should not either. Look at (or someone) the front pads. They may be very thin, which could cause roter wear. Is there any squeaking?
Ed

No squeaking, pads are good. I made a sudden stop today and the break pedal depresseddown well below the accelerator pedal. I am beginning to suspecion that there is air in the lines.

If there is air in the line, you could pump up the pedal. If that is the case, try bleeding them. You Tube has many videos on how to.
Let us know Ed

This really could be any number of things. Looks like it time for a complete brake system inspection to narrow down the culprit(s).

-Power booster (big circular thing the master cylinder is attached to)
-Master cylinder
-Front calipers
-Rear cylinders and drum assemblies
-All lines for leakage
-Vacuum leaks
-ABS unit
-Proper bleeding, flush out all old fluid by pushing through new

Words of caution... Do not let air get into the ABS unit, it is a PITA to bleed unless you have ForScan or pay Ford to bleed it for you. Can be done by going out to a field and locking the brakes up as many times as it takes but it takes a while to be sure all the air is out.

Blert would know better than me!

Seems my brake pedal is the same height as the accelerator pedal. When I push the brake it is easy to push the accelerator at the same time. Very scarey. Anyone else have this issue? Remedy?
Jim:

Yes, I've done that multiple times over the years. I don't keep it in my mind all the time and once you get settled in and comfortable that's when it will happen. It's seems to happen when I'm in a fast food line at the drive through at the bank.....you know....when you're right behind another car. Maybe it's caused by our big Buckeye feet??

the spacing was a complaint on certain years, specially with work boots on..... brake pedal is large and close to gas.
what year as your profile is not filled out completely so we don't know what truck you own.... I drove both gens with work boots....
The f150 has a tiny brake pedal pad for this reason.

Latest posts