brakes still squealing

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave feola

Reaction score
well got my truck back from dealer for third time. They did verify the squeal when I drove with them., the tech said it seemed the rotors were glazed ? and that it was from my driving habits,which is crap !/anyways they said they replaced all the hardware and the the squeal was gone. so I pick my truck up and after drving for about 15 monutes the squeal is back. at 20mph while braking . i am beside myself and need some advice please.

There is a way to tell if your rotors are glazed. Look for either/or a dark ring, or blue marks on them. If you do not see any of those - then they are not glazed. Glazed rotors come from excessive braking and the rotors get too hot and become burned.

Like I said look for a dark ring or blue marks on them. If you do not see those, then tell them to shove it, and fix it right without all the excuses...

i know but how can this happen, when I maybe drove 50 miles before i started to hear the squeal ?. i thnink i 'm going to stick with a local mechanic from now on. and is that common for brand new rotors to become glazed ?

It usually happens when a person drives fast, then slams on the brakes, which causes the rotors to become hot. Glazing is a slang for burned rotors. I have also heard that if a person is always hitting, or tapping the brakes every two seconds will sometimes cause this to happen over time. I am telling you look at the rotors yourself, do not take a mechanics word for anything...

Dark rings or blue marks on the rotors indicate overheated rotors. Glazed rotors have an overly shiny appearance to them, almost like there has been a protective polyurethane coat applied to them.

Sounds like they didn't put silicon grease on the back of the pads. If you don't do this the rubbing between the back on the pads and caliper will cause a squeak.

XG-3-A Motorcraft Silicone Brake Caliper Grease and Dielectric Compound

I keep a tube of that in one of the side toolboxes...I usually apply it every time I rotate the tires on my vehicles...

..but then I'm weird like that..

If you took your truck in for squealing brakes and they did not fix the squealing brakes take it back and get your money back !! Don't ever let a tech or service manager talk you into just getting a brake job, or new rotors or any expensive parts unless that is what they claim will cure the problem !!

Look at your work order and see what they wrote down for the customer's complaint. If it says "Squaling brakes" then that is what they are supposed to fix and they failed to do that, so you are entitled to your money back. If they wrote down, only to change pads or replace rotors, then you should have never signed the work order, because now they are under no obligation to fix the squeal. You signed for them to change the rotors, brake pads and other hardware and that's what you got. The fact that the service tech may tell you it needs this or that, should be backed up by you saying that you want the squeal fixed and that you will not pay for any labor or parts that does not fix the squeal problem! And make sure the work order clearly states that you only want the squealing brakes fixed.

I had a Honda dealer charge me to change the idle RPM when the problem was the idle was fluctuating from about 800-2000 rpm while sitting at a light. They charged me $35 for what they say was to change the idle speed which did absolutely nothing. They immediately gave me my $35 back since that did nothing to solve the problem.

The key point I want to make is to be sure that the work order states the exact reason or problem you want fixed. Not the service writers immediate, of the top of his head, inaccurate diagnosis. If he writes it down wrong, don't sign the work order until he corrects the problem and it properly reflects what you are complaining about, and not what the service writer thinks is the cure, like replace rotors, and brake hardware, etc. because if you sign that, you are authorizing them to do that work, which may or may not fix the actual problem, but you have to pay because you signed for them to do that work, and not to diagnose the problem and solve only that problem.

...Rich

Try replacing your brake rotors. Had the same problem with my '02. First, I replaced my brake pads with Hawk performance pads. Same thing. Second, replaced pads with Napa ceramic and new hardware. Same thing. Third, I replaced the rotors from Napa. Problem solved. Not thinking that it really was the rotors, I kept the originals for future use. A few months ago, I swapped the orginals back, and the noise came back. Put the aftermarket ones back on, squeal went away.

Latest posts