braking issue

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Morse

Reaction score
I have a 2001 Sport Trac which i believe is a Job 1. The issue i am having is when i turn to the left and apply the brake (this almost always happens when i pull into a parking spot) i can feel what i think is the abs kicking in. It almost feels like i'm sliding to stop. I only seem to notice this when the wheels are turned to the left though. I've been told it's could either be wheel bearings or abs sensors. has anyone else experienced this?

Mike, youre correct with both of what you heard. I have and many other members have had the same problem with stopping. It is the abs speed sensors, and they are included with the front wheel bearings, so u must buy new wheels bearing at around $200 each to fix the problem, assuming it is the front speed sensors becausee of the turning issue. Gm recently had a recall on this with their trucks, and i personally know someone that did $5000 in damage to a mercedes after his abs kicked in when coming to a stop in a parking lot and he slammed into the car....What i did for the first year was unplugged the abs fuse and just drove with regular brakes. We werent able to figure out which side the sensor went bad, so i bought both new, and the problem has since gone. it seems like almost every truck i see has an abs or brake light on these days..

Good luck

Andy