Brighter tail light bulbs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Polk

Reaction score
I tried to search on this but kept coming up with LED threads.

I just darkened my tails with VHT and now I need brighter bulbs. Is there a cheaper option instead of LEDs?

The LEDs are cool and all but I can't see myself paying that much cash for bulbs.

You could go with a higher wattage bulb but the problem is that they produce more heat and alot of times will start to melt the bulb socket...just man up and buy the leds...you wanna play you gotta pay

Yeah, well if I wanted to spend that much cash on the tails, I would've bought the black ones off of Ebay. Not everyone has the cash laying around to do what ever they choose to their truck like some of you all do. It has nothing to do with "Manning Up".

I'll find a solution, thanks for the input though.

..........or, you could just go back to non-tinted lights and not "man up".:rofl:, which you'll probably do after somebody rear ends you:cheeky:. I do think they look good but personally I prefer safety to looks.

The City used to have big ORANGE recycle trucks with warning chevrons and flashing/rotating lights on the back of them. They were regularly rear ended ...........what do you think your chances are?:grin::grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
I really didn't go that dark with them. I only put on 3 light coats. The light still shines through pretty good. I just wanted to see if there were brighter ones. I plan on getting a set of silverstars for the head lights and I thought I seen on here some where that they have them for the tails as well.

Something like this?

get cheaper LEDs off ebay, i paid about 20 a pair...

these are exactly what im using...same light cheaper price

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-RED-36-LED-BRAKE-TURN-TAIL-LIGHT-BULB-3157-4157_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem335a59dc1bQQitemZ220559170587QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Thanks reaper! I just bought them. I also need that flasher relay that goes under the dash. Correct? If so, I'll get that at the parts store.

It's absolutely insane to paint your lights black and then try to find a magical thingy to undo the damage.

In that case, I'm sorry. With so many people painting their tail lights black, I made a bad assumption.

Im for the safety issue over custom myself. If you buy the leds. Buy white leds. The reds dont show up as well, behind a red lens. Especialy since you nightshaded them.

Sylvania does make a white 3157 SilverStar bulb that will fit the Gen 1 tail lights. I'm running them in my '08 Mustang. They're pretty bright. Got them at Autozone for about $7/pair.

Hey Reaper, I went to the parts store and picked up a LED flasher for those bulbs you posted. I'm thinking of getting the led back up bulbs as well. Will I need anything special for those? Like a relay or something.

Thanks again!

you just need that one flasher bro, EP-27 its under the steering wheel takes maybe 60sec to install

ill take a pic and post it so you can see mine.

Been using the 3157 in my bike. Works well and is a lot brighter. However, I remember reading the specs and the life of the bulb was significantly lower. I got a blister-pack of 3157 LL (sylvania long-life) bulbs and I don't worry too much about it.

Now, I need to upgrade the pathectic headlight on my bike. The Silverstar helped some, but it is still too weak for my night-riding tastes.

Latest posts