Bring the Sport Trac Back

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris G

Reaction score
Hey All, I started a post on MyFordStory: http://www.thefordstory.com/your-ideas/technologies/performance/bring-back-the-sport-trac/

Who knows what can happen, but I thought I would post!

It might be wishfull thinking, but. In time I expect ford to do a ridgline thing. A less capable Trac from the new unibody chassis Explorer.

Despite the higher mpg. There is a whole class of folks. That dont want or need a truck as large as the f-150.

Customer demand for small trucks has vanished. Sales plummeted. They're not going to bring back anything that won't have significant sales.

Well, Gee! Nothing worth buying in the small truck market. No wonder the sales plummeted.

Or at least nothing available in the U.S. market.

re: Bring the Sport Trac Back by Uncle_Bob,8/23/2011 13:27 CT

Well, Gee! Nothing worth buying in the small truck market. No wonder the sales plummeted.

Or at least nothing available in the U.S. market.

+ 1

Build a good midsize truck and advertise it.

I honestly think that the reason the ST is now on the extinct list is because of lack of advertisement. Ads lead to sales and sales lead to money. I think that Ford just wanted an excuse for trying to sell the F-150, cause the ST's and the Rangers were destroying the 150's sales figures.

, cause the ST's and the Rangers were destroying the 150's sales figures.

Absolutely not true. Not even close. They ended the ST because it didn't sell. It didn't sell because they were very close in pricing to the F150. When rebates are strong on an f150. You van buy it for less money than an ST. Most of the ST buyers are not enthusiasts like the people on this forum. They don't see or love the ST as we do. The other thing that held back the ST was the word "Explorer" on it.

Everything the ST can do, an F150 can do better and for the same money, most people go F150.

Rangers ....where don I start lol. They look dated and get f150 like fuel economy. Their cab configs are useless. They are much cheaper than an ST and F150 though. On a large scale their sales are dropping off quickly but I have no problem selling them as used trucks on my lot. For me, they flip fast.

The Ranger just needed updating. It's an icon, IMO.

The Sport Trac no longer has a place in this world. Sad fact.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with Hugh. If Rangers were not old POS, there would be no need for Sport Trac.

Now Ford is going to be left with no small sized pickup or no mid-sized pickup. Watch Toyota walk right in with restyled Tundra and Tacoma and really fill the gap!

Yesterday while having my 2010 STA tires R & B @ a Discount Tire for the 1st time, a guy in a 2007 ST told me he'd seen on the Ford Motor Co. website where they were bringing back the ST.

So I e-mailed Ford yesterday.

And for what it's worth here's their reply.

Hello Les

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company, My name is Peggy and I apologize for the delay in our response of your email regarding a 2012 or 2013 Ford Explorer Sport Trac.

There are no details at this time reflecting plans to put the sport trac into commercial production again. From time to time, vehicle models and options are added, deleted or modified. Decisions to make these changes take into account factors such as market trends, customer demands, engineering advances, and dealership input.

The Customer Relationship Center is unaware in advance of changes that our Engineering and Design Team may be making and the specific reasons that the changes may be made in the future. This type of information is considered confidential until the appropriate media statement is released. If you are interested in some futuristic vehicle design ideas that we are working on, visit us at:

1. www.ford.com

2. Select 'Innovation"

We think you will like what you see!

Thank you for contacting Ford.

Sincerely,

Peggy

Customer Relationship Center

Ford Motor Company

sorry guys, hit reply twice

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts