Broken ignition key in '02 Sport Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George Malian

Reaction score
I bought a 2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac. The previous owner only had the ignition key and a remote to give me. The ignition key does not turn the door locks. Today the ignition key broke inside the ignition. I took the ignition switch out but was unable to get the broken piece out. I would like to find the least expensive way out of this mess. The local Ford dealer told me that if the key was out, they could re-cut a key for me from the VIN number and I could buy a remote, but I would have to bring the vehicle there to have the remote and key programmed. I live far away from the dealership and the towing would be very costly. I was also thinking of hiring a locksmith. I read that they could take the broken piece out and possibly re-cut a key to match and program it onsite as well. Is that true? What would I need to do to get the same key to start the truck and open both doors? I could take out a door lock cylinder if need be to save on labor. Do I need to buy a new ignition lock cylinder if we're not able to get the key out or would my old switch still be usable (with a new cylinder/tumbler)? Which is the right road to take? I need my truck back! Thanks Malo

there are directions on how to program your transponder key and remote on this website, if not you can google it. there is no need to tow it to the dealership for that. i would say the best route would be for a locksmith to securely get the key out of the switch and get the dealership to make you a new key by providing your VIN number.

Since you have the ignition switch out, get a 2x4 or similar board, turn the switch/cylinder face down and while holding said cylinder tightly slam it down onto the board, face down. What you're trying to do is eject the broken piece of key. I've successfully done this numerous times on various cylinders. Once the piece is out have a new key cut, reinstall the cylinder, start the vehicle while holding the old transponder section as close as possible to the correct switch position and drive to the locksmith and have 2 new keys made/programmed and the locks matched.

George, there is no real way to do this cheap, so here is what I would suggest... You have the lock cylinder out, now take out a door cylinder.(driver).. Take both of them to a locksmith. The ignition switch you have is not factory so there are no codes on it. A good locksmith can take the cuts from your door and match them on the ignition switch. One key fits all again. He may have to take the switch apart to get the key out. Have him make you 2 keys. Then go home and put everything back in. Put the broken head right next to the switch and crank it up. Then go get your keys programmed. If this is confusing, you can call me.. 803-495-3333

OR, you can buy a new switch at autozone for about $75, put that one in, use your old key head to crank it and go get that switch programmed.

I've got my ST running up and running. Thank you Steve M, the 2x4 trick worked and after about 20 slams on a 2x4 the broken piece came out. I then called a local locksmith and he cut me a 2 new keys and programmed them, made 2 more for the doors at no extra charge. The ignition switch was the original one so he was able to pull the codes from it. The door locks were all frozen due to the previous owner always using the remote vs. the key. The locksmith also lubed all my door locks and tailgate lock, replaced a sensor on the ignition switch (that I had out, then put it back in), found out the factory code for my driver's door (which I had not known as I am the 2nd owner and the 1st lost it), and also told me how to program the remote control once I got one (a $40 value). He also provided me with 2 bottle opener keychains, and a hell of a nice refridgerator magnet with his card on it. Nice guy. He charge me $175 for his service including parts and labor. I thought that was a pretty good deal seeing that some locksmiths charge $150 for one transponder key alone. It probably would have cost me that just to tow it to the dealer, nevermind having any work done. Thank you all for your help on this one. It is much appreciated! Malo (George) :driving:

Great, George! Glad the slam/bam/thank you ma'am trick worked. Hmmmmm, you're making me think I had better exercise my door lock with a key. I've about forgotten that keys open doors too. :supercool:

Yes, use that do or lock with the key before it freezes up!

Tip: The locksmith said if it should be frozen, remove lock assembly from the door, let is soak in vinegar overnight. The next day pour some baking soda into the key slot and it will fizz and clean it of the corrosion. Then work it with the key let it dry then lubricate.

What I've learned from this: Never have your only truck keys in your pocket when cutting the grass. When calling a locksmith, use only reputable licensed/insured people with references and an address where you could locate them. Your door lock code CAN be recovered if it is lost or you never had it from the previous owner (like me), your ST remote control can be programmed easily yourself, and lastly the members of this ST site are some of the most helpful and fantastic people on the planet! Thanks again!

Latest posts