BUMP: Previous issue, rough idle, surging...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Knight

Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone. I wanted to follow up with some more trouble shooting I have been doing to try and track down this rough idle, surging when stopped issue I have been having.

To review I have changed plugs, cleaned IAC, cleaned MAF, checked elbow and sprayed for vac leaks. I have not found any. When the plugs were changed I inspected the wires and could not find any bad wires.

My co-worker has a 2001 Explorer. We pulled his side by side with my 02 ST. One very noticeable difference was when we would take the cover off of his air filter, his truck was pulling a LOT more air and the suction was MUCH stronger than mine. I am not sure if that helps anyone or not or gives anyone more ideas where I can look but I would appreciate any more ideas.

Could I swap my IAC or MAF with his to see what that would do? Or are they different?

On a side note. On the upcoming shopping list with the tax return is new shocks, and body mounts as well as a transmission service. I am going to perform the fluid and filter change as well as the transmission EPC adjustment listed under projects.

I could have swore there was a project write up diagramming the procedure for body mount replacement but now I can not find it. I believe it was a more indepth PDF but not the one by ES Daystar. I know I have seen a member write up either on this sight or another that was better than the Daystar PDF. Anyone else recall seeing something similar?

Thanks!

BELOW IS ORIGINAL:

ORIGINAL POST:

Good evening everyone. I have been visiting this board for a few months now doing some research trying to figure out a problem with my 2002 Sport Trac (2wd).

I have been plagued by the O/D light flashing, hard shift, and erratic idle for a few months. I have cleaned the IA Sensor, checked the plastic tube elbow, changed the plugs, battery terminals, cleaned the MAF sensor, and tried adjusting the idle.

The problem is this:

At a stop light, the truck will develop a strange idle as if it has an oversized cam in it. It will rock back and forth and surge like it wants to drive forward. If I shift into N from D then it still sounds the same, only gets less noticeable and stops the surging.

In addition to the above, we have issues with the hard shift from 2nd to 3rd and sometimes other gears. Hesitation in shifting and then it will rev high and shift.

I am thinking about tearing the transmission apart and doing a filter and fluid change and while in there replacing the servo block.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

FOLLOW UP:

Ok. I was able to get a reader and finally get some codes pulled.

Here are the results:

"No Powertrain DTC or Freeze Frame present"

KOEO:

P1464 A/C Demand out of self test range

KOER:

P1116 Engine Coolant Sensor out of self test range

P1703 Brake Switch out of self test range

P1464 (Same as above)

P1137 Lack of HO2S12 switches, sensor = Lean

Any and all help with your advice as to putting a game plan together for parts and links to projects that may be helpful so I can tackle this would be greatly appreciated.

First and foremost I would like to get that idle situation taken care of and my thoughts would be start with the P1137 code, unless someone has another suggestion.

Thanks!

Sorry for the repost but this seemed to stay buried back about 6 pages. It did not seem to come to the top after the follow up.

P1116 Engine Coolant Sensor out of self test range

P1703 Brake Switch out of self test range

P1464 (Same as above)

P1137 Lack of HO2S12 switches, sensor = Lean

Self test was done with motor cold, P1116 engine has to be at normal operating temp after the first 3 beeps for 6 cyl you have to step on the brake peddle. P1703

A/C needs to be in off position not a/c or defrost best turned off which explains P1464.

So were down to P1137 most likely same as above engine not warmed up so Start again and run a good test.. engine running at normal temp, AC turned off and step on the brake peddle after the engine cyl id test.. lets see what you have then..:supercool:

Fuel filter is a relatively inexpensive way to take fuel starvation out of the equation. $10-15 part, but I don't care for working around fuel so I have it done every two years. Funny thing about fuel stations - I've never seen servicing in progress (filters, hoses) at any I stopped at. Asking guy behind counter brings a blank stare - most haven't a clue about cracked hoses, slow filling pumps, etc.

Very true Vic,

Thanks. As soon as the tax return comes in the truck is going to get some TLC. We'll see how it goes.

Latest posts