Bumper Step

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReggieT

Reaction score
I have been considering buying myself a late Christmas present. A WeatherTech bumper step. The price for a 12" would be well over $100 and the longer one about $150 after freight and tax. Harbor has a cheaper version for about $35. I would probably get the better quality, USA made 24", but is it worth it? You cannot use them as a step with the tail gate down or with the hard cover on the bed. And even tho it says it will hold up to 300 pounds, I would suppose that means, in the very center. Out near the ends, maybe not so much. So, my question is, would there by a real advantage to owning one? I do have a little difficulty getting this 5'8", 210 lb body into the truck bed, but I don't do it very often.

yes mine was worth it, i use it to get on my hard cover and to wash and wax my shell when its on. i got one for wifes flex and in a drive thru a girl ran in back of hers and not a scratch ,but girls car had small damage. i would recommend a lock for it, only 12 bucks, but with out a easy steal.

1640883072766.png

And yes on the weight, mine is strong, do not remember limit. but i have jumped on mine and does not have any flex. i preferred the smaller one when i was looking for that reason, was tired of using bumper and could not get much leverage. and if someone gets to close in a parking spot well rather dump a hundred then a few on repairs.

Thanks for your reply. What brand is yours. It looks stronger. I think Harbor freight is made of fiber Glas. Some are resin, some are aluminum, not sure if any are steel. Getting the best one for the money might take some head scratchin.

oh sorry, its a bully. i got my last one on amazon, i have a few on different trucks and really happy with them. took mine off truck and put on a ford flex to get the glass top and worked great so that last one was a year and half ago on amazon, its 49 now i just can not paste and copy for ya, just tried. put bully hitch in search on amazon.

make sure ya got the 2 inch receiver hitch and not 1 1/4. there are bigger ones, but for what i wanted its perfect.

Bully seems to be the best. The complaints about the others is crazy. there is a flat one that holds like 350 but its $150

yes for the money it works great and not so bulky. i have tried a few and it really helps and avoids me using bumper. for 49. bucks ya can have a little protection in rear. i have a picture of damage a girl did to her car running in the back of wife's flex in drive thru, it was a week after putting it on. you can see nothing on step but damage to girls car.

Does it cause any false triggers of the backup proximity warning signal? On my 2010 G2, if I back up with the tailgate down the warning beeper sounds constantly.

i do not have any of those features on my trac, it is a first gen basic but not on my ford flex, which is real sensitive. it sits a little lower where the hitch goes and does not stick out to far, i would think you would be fine.

make sure ya got the 2 inch receiver hitch and not 1 1/4. there are bigger ones, but for what i wanted its perfect.
is that simply a measurement across the receiver? I want one of these. I have already bumped my receiver backing up (my dinger sometimes goes solid a foot away and sometimes right up against whatever Im backing up to)

sidetrack, for a moment: I haven't been able to find in the forum settings where you guys add the vehicle info below your names)??

on factory hitches they are a 2 inch receiver and correct the inside measurement is 2, after market hitches are sometimes 1 1/4 for light towing, so 2 x 2 on inside for a standard. and sensors are so nice, and back up cameras, i installed a back up camera but did not have any sensors.

color me with disappointment. I just received my Bully along with a Rhino locking pin but I have to find another locking pin due to the plug for trailer lamps. Put it in one way and the locking part is too fat to get between the plug and hitch post. Put it in the other way and can't get the key at the correct angle due to the plug.

2010 limited.

well your half way there, my buddy got 2 bully steps in oregon and opted to not get locking pins and in a week both got stolen at his house. it says your in woodland park, used to go to deckers area all the time 4 wheeling, a fun area

Latest posts