Burned the shifter cable... twice.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Phillips

Reaction score
I'm temporarily back on the stock shifter for a week or two while I go back to the drawing board. When I installed my floor shifter two years ago, I used the supplied five foot cable that was supplied with the kit. It lasted up until last Friday when the shifter stopped functioning properly. I backed out of my friend's driveway and had to "find" Drive. After crawling up and taking a look, it seems the excess cabling was close enough (about 2 inches) from the Y-pipe and slowly melted the rubber shielding until it finally broke. So I went down to the local performance shop and bought a new cable, along with some aluminum heat shield tubing. I installed that cable, but I routed it differant closer to the transmission, and burned it out in two days. I broke it trying to back out of my girlfriend's driveway. Now I have a new four foot cable coming for Jegs, and I'm thinking of ways to run it closer to the frame rail and possibly under the transmission hump heat shielding. We'll see...

Oh, and to make matters worse, now above certain hot ambiant daytime temps, the transmission started slipping from 2nd to 3rd. Reflashing with the XCal 2 isn't helping.

You may want to get some heat insulation for that cable. It's a silver reflective sleeve that slips over and is held down with zip-ties. It isn't terribly cheap, but it is cheap insurance. I've got some around my starter lead on the '66, as it runs very near the headers...and with a hopped up motor, they put out a lot of heat.