Buying '04 sport trac in morning: what to look for?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Sayre

Reaction score
Alright, I'd love a little help here. Buying a sport trac in the morning, it's an '04, so what do I look for? Any trans problems with the 2004 that I need to know? Any rattles, things too look for, etc? What goes wrong with the 2004's? This is totally loaded, leather, moonroof, everything. So let me know what has gone wrong with your 2004 st ! By the way, it's blue.

Thank you very much!

--Bob

I will have my '04 for 2yrs in june..no problems..never had any warranty work..it is vehicle #3 so I have only had a couple of oil changes..low miles...but Iam pleased so far..

Make sure you hear no clunking when you're changing gears from park (esp. into reverse). When you test drive it, pay attention to the shifting; beware of any 'revving' between gears, a.k.a. the 2-3 tranny flare. Furthermore, there was a recall for 04s that calls for a tranny additive, so make sure this has been done. There's supposed to be an ashtray can/cup with a lid for the high-series console, but not sure if this is worth complaining about. Same with the manual and pamphlet. I have an 04 as well and can't think of anything else that is exclusive to 04s. It's a good truck overall. Oh yeah, try and see it while there's daylight so you can take a good look of the exterior. Good luck.

(p.s. I've presumed this 04 is used).

Last edited by a moderator:
Just check everything and make sure everything works the way it should. Also, like Fliptrac said, take it for a ride and listen to the engine when it shifts from 2-3rd. If the rpms go up it's slipping and point it out to them. How many miles is on it? Just wondering because if the miles are in the 30K range, get the tranny flushed and/or get the filter replaced before you buy it. Make it a barganning chip.;)

Pay attention to the nooks and cranies underneath, the engine compartment and interior for any tell tale signs (rust and sand/dirt deposits) of being a flood vehicle. Plenty of them around these days.

the paint on my 04 had some flaws in it when I purchased the truck. The weather stripping was rubbing paint off the inside of all my doors. Ford payed to have it all repainted. Also, my truck had the typical Ford lean, so I got them to fix that and they had to install a camber kit as well.

Jason

Grump, here is a free program that catches the typo's for you.

Works great. I have used it for over two years now...

(Once you install it simply right click and the option to check spelling will be in the list).