buying gas the way a texas oilman does...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary s

Reaction score
that is the title of an article in our local long island newspaper. tips on energy saving tips for your vehicle:

1. you will get more gas if you fill up in the morning when it's cooler.

2. you may get sludge build-up if you fill up when a tanker is dropping off it's load.

3. refuel when you are half empty to cut down on evaporation.

4. always set the nozzle trigger at slow so you create less vapor.

i always practiced #2, as i will bypass the station if they are getting a load delivered. the force of the fuel being dumped into the tanks stirs up the sediment.

Never practice any of those "rules". I get gas when I need it. I run the tank so darn empty, I am praying I can make it to the station. I fill as fast as I can because the faster you fill, the less time you are at the pump. Gas is filtered hundreds of times and never had sediment in my fuel system, plus pumps have two filters before it goes into your vehicle.

Go figure. I guess I am lucky.

Tom

Never practice any of those "rules". I get gas when I need it. I run the tank so darn empty, I am praying I can make it to the station. I fill as fast as I can because the faster you fill, the less time you are at the pump.

I'm the same way, I always wait till the last minute to fill up. I fill up my F150 once a day because of all the miles I drive for work, there is no way I am filling up twice a day just to keep the tank topped off. It starts off full in the morning and is empty by night time. Then I fill up at night because there is nothing worse then standing in the cold for 5 minutes waiting for your tank to fill before morning light.

I don't necessarily agree with #2. Fuel is filtered several times between the tank and the nozzle. When a tanker has dropped fuel it could take hours for the sediment to settle because of the size of the tanks, and you never know how long it has been since a tanker made a drop. I always run my tank low so the sediment at the bottom of the tank is picked up gradually by the fuel filter as opposed to letting sediment build up over years and the one time you have to run the tank low your fuel filter takes on way more than it can handle at one time. Just my $.02.

#1) Wrong... the ground temp of the tank is 55 degrees, it is below the frost line... IF you fill up in the morning and top off, the fuel in your tank will expand as the day heats up and contract back at night. You can actually OVER fill your tank by topping it off to the last drop

#2) Wrong...Just a note, The new fuel tanks and pumps have a large open screen at the influent pump line in the tank and 1 spin on filter before the pump... It is not triple filtered like it used to be.

But all the tanks here in NY are less than 5 years old as the new laws required all single wall tanks be replaced with double wall tanks by 2010....

#3) Wrong....The NEW fuel systems are sealed, the vapor is only lost if you remove the fuel cap. And those vapors are recovered by the pump when you fill up to allow you to get the most int the tank and prevent the vapors from going into the air.

#4) Can be true if filling a 20,000 gallon tank, Not a 22 gallon tank...

Where the heck did these idiots get their information from....

Todd Z

1. Some tanks around here are above ground.

3. We don't have the vapor recovery systems here in central missouri, but St. Louis area does have them.

4. Probably depends on many other factors (lenght of time to fill, ambient air movement, design of dispensing nozzel and receptical, etc.).

The tips listed here are pretty minimal compared to many other alternatives, such as: carpooling, getting a more energy-efficient vehicle, not going anywhere, taking public transportation, or just walking.

The most cost-efficient thing I can probably do is drive 10 miles out of town in any direction and get gasoline cheaper than the crooks in this town sell it for. There is some sort of cartel in my town where all the gas stations are $0.06-0.10 higher than other nearby towns. Everyone complains, but the attorney general says there is "no evidence of collusion or price-fixing".

How new does a fuel system have to be to retain the vapors?

I also share the driving policy of Caymen here...gotta make sure that gas light bulb still works, right?

BTW, wouldn't filling up an F150 daily kill you financially? Is it possibly work reimbursed/paid? It cost me 70.01 to fill up my trac, and I had to push it to get 10 days on one tank...then again, I'm much more destitute from a relative point than you guys (at least I hope so).

Does the Ford manual understate the capacity of the fuel tank, because according to the pump (which had better be accurate) I put 23.501 gallons in a 22.5 gallon tank?

Does the Ford manual understate the capacity of the fuel tank, because according to the pump (which had better be accurate) I put 23.501 gallons in a 22.5 gallon tank?

You were filling gas into the filler hose.

Tom

That's when the pump shut off. Normally it shuts off 'round 21 or 22 gallons. Somehow I gained the ability to stash gas in the hose? With the same gas station that I traditionally use? Weird.

just do yourself a favor and fill the tank all the way regularly. took me spending $300 to put a fuel pump in my wife's grand prix to make her understand the gas lubricates the pump. when you $5-$10 your vehicle it will bite you in the long run.

The most cost-efficient thing I can probably do is drive 10 miles out of town in any direction and get gasoline cheaper than the crooks in this town sell it for. There is some sort of cartel in my town where all the gas stations are $0.06-0.10 higher than other nearby towns.

Gavin, if you save $.10 per gallon, but have to drive 20 miles round trip to get the savings, you're losing money. If you fill up 20 gallons, you'll save 2.00 on the gas. Considering our trucks get 15-18 mpg though, it took you at least a gallon to there, costing $3.00 per gallon. That savings just cost you $1.00! The best thing you can do is just try and plan your fillups when you'll be passing by a cheap station.

Gavin, if you save $.10 per gallon, but have to drive 20 miles round trip to get the savings, you're losing money. If you fill up 20 gallons, you'll save 2.00 on the gas. Considering our trucks get 15-18 mpg though, it took you at least a gallon to there, costing $3.00 per gallon. That savings just cost you $1.00! The best thing you can do is just try and plan your fillups when you'll be passing by a cheap station.

Oh, I know. However I feel like I am saving some gas, and at least some other distributor clown is getting my money!

how many miles do you have on your F-150? What year is it?

05 F150, 120,000 km's, 75,000 miles. My works is mainly in the summer months, not year around, so I guess I don't fill up everyday, just everyday when I am working.

BTW, wouldn't filling up an F150 daily kill you financially? Is it possibly work reimbursed/paid? It cost me 70.01 to fill up my trac, and I had to push it to get 10 days on one tank...then again, I'm much more destitute from a relative point than you guys (at least I hope so).

I get payed per kilometer when I drive for work, so my work ends up completely paying for the lease payments, fuel, insurance etc. The truck ends up costing me nothing out of my pocket even through 1/4 of the mileage is personal mileage.

I filled my Mazda3 yesterday for $85 plus some change. That's to fill a 13.2 gal tank. At $7/gal, the cost adds up quickly and I don't get reimbursed for any of it.

You'll get better mileage if you run your tank down to at least 1/4 before refilling. Reason - lighter vehicle. If you constantly refill at 1/2, your vehicle is always heavier = lower average mileage.