Buying Tires today will 285/75/16 fit?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Jenkins

Reaction score
I am buying the BF Goodrich AT's and I have the TT/Shakle lift. I was hoping to fit them with minor rubbing. However if they will rub to much then I should probaly go with the 265/75/16 on stock wheels. What do you guys think??

They will fit with some minor rubbing of the plastic wheel liners. This can easily be eliminated with some trimming of the liners. Look in my library for the "Wheel Liner Trimming For Larger Tires" file and there are some pictures of the trimming I needed to do to eliminate my rubbing.

I have 265/75's and they rub the swaybar a little up front but not so you'd notice. In my opinion the stock rims are too narrow at 7", for 285's you should use an 8" rim. 265's would really be better on an 8" too I think. Most of the 16x8's I've looked at had 4.5" backspace which is really too much, you're better with 3.75" to 4.00" to set the tire away from the suspension.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have 265/75/16's wrangler TD's on stock rims on a '02 4x2 w/o lift or anything. they rub on the passenger side rear fender liner, which is now trimmed, and on the sway bars in front only when turned to lock and going over bump at same time. the tires really make the truck look nice, filling out the wheelwells...

Besides requiring some liner trimming, the 285/75R16's will rip your front splash guards off (while turning), if you have any.

ST'erriffic so are your tires in that pic of trimming the plastic 285/75/16's??? Bridgestone Duelers AT

Last edited by a moderator:
i was going to go with 285's after i decided not to do a body lift, but it was to close for me so 265's were the way i went.their is not that much difference in height,the with is much wider i also was thinking of gas mileage a 285 will Be lot more rolling Resistance

LJ,

Yeppers.........they are Bridgestone Dueler AT 285/75/16 tires. Alot of members here are running with 285's with minimal or no problems.

I'd go with the 265/75/16's. Go with the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors. Goodyear has a 30 day $$ back guarentee and a $50.00 rebate. They are made with Kevlar. I love mine so far.

Latest posts