CAI question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger Batts

Reaction score
This question may have been asked on here before, but, to those of you that have any kind of CAI, did you see an increase in gas mileage? I'm thinking about adding one to mine to help my mileage.

Yes, but the increase in mileage is not worth the cost of the intake. If you get a 1mpg increase (about what I got) then you are getting basically a free gallon of gas (lots of rounding w/ my calculations). At $4 a gallon, you're looking at 15 fillups to break even with a $60 eBay intake, and 50 fillups for an intake like a Volant, K&N, Mac, etc. Of course, if you're just trying to sell your wife on the idea of an intake, then yes, technically it will improve MPG.

I didn't see a significant increase in MPG after I installed my Volant. But with that, a Flowmaster, and XCal2 program tune, I did get a little more "oomph".

Yeah, I actually am thinking about doing one of the homemade CAI's on here. If it works OK on mine, I might do something similar to my wife's 05 Explorer, although I already put a K&N panel and the restrictor delete in it.

um...if you get your exhaust done it should help increase it a bit more...

dpending on if u can keep ur foot out of the gas...

i cant cuz i like the sound... but thats the price im willing to pay...

but b4... yea there was a slight increase!

you won't get any significant increase in mpg with this mod or with a new exhaust, you will get a slight improvement in overall throttle response and a bit more power, if you want to improve your mpg, drive like granddad does, change the air filter, check the psi in the tires, etc.,

Latest posts