California Tinting Laws

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather inOC

Reaction score
Okay I did a search on this site regarding window tinting, but it is still confusing to me. Can someone just tell me how much of a tint I can put on my front windows if California requires 70% visible light transmission? thanks

-Heather in OC

Noble is correct. Tint is measured in %. So if a state requires at least 70% of light through a window, then you are allowed to have 30% tint, which is a common tint %. THe rear windows on a stock ST are 21% so that 79% of the light comes through.

guys, dont know about about this............ I know its on the internet so it must be true:p, sorry not trying to be a jerk, but ive had repeated fix it tickets over the years for tints on my front windows, Ive been told by police and the courts...........nothing on the front windows. Other side of the coin is this was before 99, havent had tint since, I could be wrong AND HOPE I AM!! If that's true......... Im going this weekend!!! I would just absolutly get it from a law officer before I spent the dough. Before I was married and had a child, no big deal. Also, there's a shop down the road from my work, they will REMOVE front tint that they put on, if "you need it done to comply with state law" in other words, fix it ticket. Maybe I will jam down and ask if they're talking about over 30%. If I find out I'll post unless someone finds out. It has been a long time so who knows??? Maybe we're good!:D

yes, I just got a ticket for mine here in NY state about a month ago. NY law allows very light tint, not 21%. I had to have it removed. The cop used a meter and all. If it was under the % allowed, he would have given me my speeding ticket, LOL:lol::blink:

FMar, my doctor wrote me a note that I have in my truck, Ive been debating doing it but Im fairly sure that it wont get me out of a ticket. Even he told me, "well, if you get a ticket, it may give you a little help in court" I dont mean to be a party pooper but just kind of got a feeling........tint = ticket in california.

they cant give it to you if you have a note for medical reasons......it isnt marijuana, its window tint!! Tell Cali to lighten up ( no pun intended), lol

Heather,

I have had 2 cars in LA with the front windows tinted, a civic and then the ST. I have been pulled over in both (i know its bad) and never once did a cop tell me anything about the tint.

on the civic i had 5% tint in the back, and 35% in the front.

the ST has the sock back tint, and 35% in the front.

In fact, lol, when i was getting my St windows done a guy sitting next to me told me he liked the way it looked. We got to talking and i found out he was LAPD!, he was getting even darker on his car. :lol:

Conrad.

A doctor can write a prescription for medications. Writing a note that exempts you from the motor vehicle law is meritless. I need a note from my doctor that explains how my blood pressure goes up unless I exceed the speed limit.

I fall asleep under 70MPH, Speedometric Narcolepsy, cops and docs don't buy it, but it has been proven.

This is the Vehicle Code section that deals with tinting and other stuff (from the CA DMV website).

Search on the document for "26708", that is the "Material Obstructing or Reducing Driver’s View" section.

I dont know Cali laws, but if they require 70% light transmission, you can only put 70% tint on, which wouldnt be much at all. I know the law is 70% in PA, but I have 15% on my front windows.

Keep in mind that the front window of the stock Sport Trac already have a tint on them (don't know how much tint?). So if your state allows 30% and you put 30% tint on top of the existing factory tint of say around 10% very well may be in for a ticket.

I recently had my Sport Trac in for the required Texas vehicle safety inspection and the inspector put a meter on the drivers window. I have 35% tint added but that included the factory tint, and mine passed with no problem.

I asked him what the legal limit was for Texas and he said it was 35%. He said they do allow for as much as a 20% variance because of minor inaccuracies with the meter and possible dirt on the windows. However, he said that if you get stopped by a police officer with a tint meter, some will not allow for any variance, while others will not accept any variance and just give you a ticket.

Most states do not allow any tint on the windshield below the A1 line.

...Rich

in the last month i have been pulled over 3 times due to tint showed my paper work to the officer which is a doctor note and a state letter signed by an eye doctor with all info on it vehicle type year color etc. my windows are dark 35% on windshield all the way 20% on the rest and a 6 inch 20%visor on windshield also

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Frankly I think the doctor's note is kinda bullcrap. The reason the law is there in the first place is so that law enforcement can see in.

If you have a condition, then fine, wear sunglasses. Problem solved.

Kinda irks me when people get away with stuff via a technicality.

Of course, I am ready to be flamed, but that's how I see the situation.

Go ahead, I am putting on my asbestos underoos!

TJR

i can see very good i just cannot take the glare i get an instant migraine and sunglasses don't cut it.my 5 year old has the same problem as I. i not only have a doctor note i also have a state certified letter not easy to get with out reason mine go back documented 29 years.if i get pulled over i have my window down before i am even stooped i know i would not want to walk up on my ST in a traffic stop i respect the officer

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 35% on mine and the law has not given me problems with it. I drive past police and they drive past me all the time and they don't say a thing (even after getting pulled over for speeding once). If you say California law requires 70% of light to pass through, then I'd take it you can tint for 30%. That'll give your front windows a nice smoked look but none too dark.

Latest posts