camber bolts and nut replacement

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jose Ayala

Reaction score
Hey you all,

I just got my ST aligned by Tire Kingdom and they told me I needed to replace cambers, that's because of my larger wheels, these parts were bad and needed replacement. Is this normal?

Was this something I could have done myself? My tires were demostrating lack of alignment and I took it to them as soon as I noticed.

Jose

It looks like you have a 2003.

There is no need to install camber correction bolts/kits to set the alignment.

That being said, there are aftermarket cams available, but not necessary unless they don't know any better.

An 03 does not need cams or cambolts to set the wheel alignment.

For what it's worth, the "cam washers" can only be used on the 01 and early 02's with the factory cam bolts.

Complete cams and bolts can be installed on all years, but are not necessary on mid 02's and newer - Read the Ford shop manual (the washers refered to are just that, flat washers. I use the Ford ones, but you can use any thick flat washer):

FROM THE SHOP MANUAL:

Camber and Caster Adjustment

NOTE: The upper arm-to-frame mounting bolts have set shims that must be replaced with washers (W-705040-S900) to allow for adjustment of the arm in the frame slot. The vehicle should be supported by the lower arm to ease movement of the upper arm in the slot.

Remove the nuts and the shims.

Discard the nuts and shims.

Install new washers (W-705040-S900) and nuts and snug the nuts.

Thanks Hal.

The question is, since I have 20'' wheels and I lowered my ST close to two inches, will it be that I needed the camber adjustment kit to have wheels aligned properly?

Jose

The "kit" provides no more adjustment than the factory recomended procedure.

The "kit" does make it a little easier for someone who doesn't do alot of them, but the same sloted holes in the frame are the limits of adjustment in either case.

As a matter of fact, being the "kit" allows adjustment with weight on the wheels, you can achieve a higher camber angle by using the factory method due to the fact that there is no weight on the wheels when you make the adjustments.