Campers, Towing, & The Trac, What to do?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Franklin

Reaction score
Ok guys, lets get down to the nitty gritty of towing and campers. My wife and I are in the market for a camper, we really think this is something we would enjoy but we have some "but's" here is the preliminary info for this discussion.

1. I have a 500lb motorcycle I like to vacation with. (Can't see loading the bike in the bed, bike is too big, bed is too high to carry ramps for, bed is to small for me to feel comfortable with.

2. I have a 100lb shepherd that likes to vacation too. ( He hates thunderstorms, gun shots, pops fizzles and whining sounds of all sorts make him go nuts so I'm scared to leave him alone in a pop up softwall camper should the wife and I want to drive into town for dinner.

3. I have a wife who likes creature comforts and things to look "nice". (Toy haulers are right out, to her the interiors are ugly, utilitarian, and spartan plus all the toy haulers I've looked at weight to much for our 5200lb limit and ac is pretty much a must as well as a functional shower and toilet)

4. I have a 2wd 03 sport trac with a class 3 hitch that isn't currently setup for trailer brakes. (which I'm aware that I will have to rectify the trailer brake.) I really don't want to upgrade trucks because A. I love my trac B. Bigger trucks mean bigger fuel bills and well, fuel is just something I'm conscious of as I use my trucks as daily drivers.

5. I potentially will have a child at some point.

The best compromise I've found at this point if a fleetwood evolution E3. It is light enough for the trac but to those of you who have motorcycles, do you think it's out of the realm of possibility to trailer a bike perpendicularly to the tow vehicle? The evolution E3 has a cargo deck on the front of it that would normally allow you to load a 4wheeler onboard or other flotsam. But the cargo deck is only 7 feet long. The distance between the two tire contact patches fit's within that 7 foot limit, but from outer tire edge to outer tire edge, the bike is longer than 7 feet. IE, there will be a portion of the tires sticking over the sides of the cargo deck though the tire contact patch will be on the deck.

Also, what the do they mean by a cassette toilet? It sounds like toilet seat over a bucket concept. YUCK. Is a cassette toilet going to be as gross as I think it's going to be? I know, I know, I better get used to poop if were going to have a kid but man.. if I can limit my exposure to it, I will.

Now, what about you guys who have large dogs with emotional issues have to say, I think I'm asking for trouble with a popup and the pooch. I see paw and claw going right through the screen windows. But if the windows were zipped up while he was in there alone, we may get away with it??? Of course I don't like leaving my dog alone, he's apart of the family, but he isn't always welcome at denny's.

Thoughts, opinions?

-Putz

Feel the warmth of a cold nose.

Last edited by a moderator:
My sister and bro-in-law have a regular Explorer, same drivetrain, and an enclosed motorcycle trailer for the Harley which is also big enough to carry a bunch of other stuff. They have an electric brake setup installed, it's no problem. If they take that for camping they sleep in a tent. For longer trips, well there is the 28' motorhome....

yukaputz, I have the Evolution 2, and we love it. I believe if you mounted the motorcycle from corner to corner on the bed, you would still have plenty of room for all of the other gear that you would want for camping, plus, there is a lot of floor room inside for gear, also. The good thing about the E2 is that the door locks from the outside, keeping would-be intruders from getting in while you are away, other than cutting through the canvas,,,,,,really a great pop-up,,,,,,,I would urge you to pursue one of those,,,,,,,just my opinion,,,,,,,,,Mark

yukaputz,

Someone out there makes a light duty trailer with a pop-up attached to it sideways. The back is like a regular flatbed trailer. Perfect for ATV's, Snowmobiles, Motorcycles, and other toys.

For the life of me, I can not remember who makes it.

Tom

hey cubber, don't you think the e3 would give us a little more room? man, I looked at your pics and that setup is just SWEEET! I emailed my wife the pictures and she said wow too. Where are you guys in those pictures?

Caymen, I think your thinking of the fleetwood scorpion. That thing is massive and probably to much weight for our little trac's to yank along.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could the bike in the bed, but with the tailgate and extender down you're going to either need a long tongue on the trailer or be very careful. I'd look around for a rec vehicle hauler/camper, I've seen some nicer ones at the RV shows.

Caymen, I think your thinking of the fleetwood scorpion. That thing is massive and probably to much weight for our little trac's to yank along.

It was the Fleetwood Scorpion. Dry weight is about 3800 LBS. I think it is a great concept, but I couldn't imagine wanting a pop-up...but that is just me.

Tom

As for the dog in a Popup... we carried a collapsable metal crate for our 100-110 lb sheppard/chow mix. She only stayed in it when we were not at the campsite. We would flp the table onto a bunk and put the cage in the spot for the table. Otherwise, she was on a lead or inside the PU. No issues. It was a Coleman Mesa, all the whistles except a shower. The new highwall PU's are really nice.

I towed my 3200lb + popup plus had a KTM 250 dirtbik in the bed of the ST (diagonal, just fit). Had no issues at all.

Now to your comments on the E3.... the bike should be fine if the contact patches are firmly on the cargo deck. That is how my dirtbike set in my bed, the tire was actually extending past the tailgate edge.

You really need to check out the Pioneer 180CK. One of the best sellers out there. Has a GREAT layout and perfect weight for the Sport Trac. This one is priced right too. Guy here with a Sport Trac pulls one. There are other floor plans if you want bigger.

Yes, my mistake,,,,,,,I've got the E3 with the larger bed. It has the shower/cassette toilet. Don't worry about the cassete toilet,,,,,,,it uses chemicals to cover smell, and break down the waste, and is a snap to empty, change. No smell or mess in the trailor at all,,,,,,,,,,the folks that you buy the E3 from can show you all of the ins and outs of it.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,really not a problem, and the wife wouldn't be without it while camping, especially during the dark hours of the night. Those pics were taken at Rock Creek, in the Sierra foothills, just outside of Fresno, CA. It is a campground just above Mammoth Pool, at about 4800 ft. elevation,,,,,,,,thanks for the comments,,,,,,,Mark