Can Corner Rust

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monolith999

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've posted on here a few times, and never been able to respond to any posts. I think it is finally fixed! But, as the title suggests, I have an issue with can Corner rust, and rust on the bottom of the doors. I live in Michigan with my 2007 st and it is expected for an 11 year old truck, but I'd like to keep her looking pretty. Not major holes, just bubbles in paint, just starting to come through paint. Any experience with this? Prices at shops and any diys? Thanks, Aaron

Unfortunately, once rust starts in those areas it is almost impossible to stop. About the best solution, especially if you intend to keep the vehicle long term, is to replace the rocker panels and cab corners. The cheap (and probably temporary) fix would be to cut out the rusted areas and weld in new sheet metal patches. I suppose you also might be able to cut the parts you need off a "rust free" totaled vehicle in a junk yard. You would probably want to search southern or west coast yards where rust is less likely.

My truck has spent it's entire life in OH and PA and I am starting to see similar issues. There is more than one reason why this part of the country is called the "rust belt". In my opinion this was also a poor design on Ford's part. Anything the front tires pick up gets thrown up and collects inside the rocker panels. Add salt to that and you have a lump of wet and very corrosive trash packed into an area that will not dry and is nearly impossible to clean. I have even tried Eastwood's Frame Coat aerosol but it was already too late to stop the rust. I also have large mud flaps on the front which didn't seem to help much either.

I haven't decided whether I want to put the money and effort into a "permanent" fix. My current plan is to nurse it along until I see exactly what Ford has up it's sleeve with the 2019 Ranger before I spend a lot of money on the Sport Trac.

The other problem is that I have not found anyone who sells a new replacement outer rocker panel for the 2nd gen ('07-'10) ST. The only thing I have found so far is the OEM Ford cab side stamping or what they call the "uniside". That is the entire outer door opening sheet metal from roof to floor and windshield to back window. It is listed as part number 7A2Z78211A10A. That is the way these trucks were built. In other words, the rocker panels were not installed as a separate piece. The best price I could find is $610 per side at Tasca Ford and you would probably only need the very bottom section which means you would be cutting up a very expensive part. Not cool. :sad:

Latest posts