Can it be towed?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 62851

Reaction score
hi folks, about to buy an inclosed car trailer to haul my custom ranger lowrider around and have curious questions. the trailer i have found is 23 feet long and 8 1/2 feet wide with dual axles and electric brakes. it is inclosed and has a ramp for which my ranger can drive onto. my question is, can my trac handle this kinda weight? would i need to buy a bag setup for the rear to handle it better? the trailer is not a fifth wheel hook up, but a regular hitch setup. my ST is:

04 adrenlin 4x4 automatic

the ranger is just a standard cab 2wd 4 cylinder manual

have an questions for me, just ask. im just looking for some answers before i decide to buy a trailer. will need one by spring time, when the shows start back up.

Any idea of the trailer weight?

The ST will tow it, but it may not like towing it for long. If you plan to drag it for long distances, I'd invest in some kind of rear suspension helper, either air bags or helper-springs. I'd also look into a tranny temp gauge and possibly cooler.

If the trailer were uncovered, no problems at all, but covered adds considerable weight.

thanks for reply so quick. the trailer weighs in about 2,900lbs and the payload weight for the trailer is 4,100lbs so total cant be anymore than 7,000lbs. i dont think the ranger weighs anymore than 3,000lbs. i wouldnt have any trouble installing an airbag setup in the rear of the ST. the ranger is already on bags. i think the max payload on the ST is 5,000lbs. I live in Maryland, and the farest id end up driving, would be to either Ocean City, MD which is about 190miles away, or to Carlisle, Pa, which is like 70miles away.

Once it's moving on the freeway, the weight really isn't the issue. Getting it started and stopped might be a problem, though. And hills would be a strain at that weight. I'd definitely want a trans cooler.

Do a search of the messages for trailers. There are lots of ideas and pictures.

I wouldn't advise it with the V6. You will be as much as 1000 lbs over the rated towing capacity of your Trac AND the added wind resistance from the enclosed trailer doesn't help any. If it were a V8 you would be a lot better off. Would you be able to haul it in something a little smaller, maybe 16 foot trailer?

Personally, 7,000 LBS is too much for a Trac as an enclosed trailer. Flatbed, sure. You are not only fighting weight, but also wind drag from the trailer. It makes a substantial difference.

You are better getting a used F-150 to do the job or a smaller flatbed trailer. I have a 16' flatbed trailer I tow cars with. Trac has pulled as much as 8,000 LBS, but there would be no way I would do it in an enclosed trailer or long distances.

I have airbags in the back and it will hardly squat with a ton in the bed.

My trailer

[Broken External Image]:

A yard of dirt in the bed. Abuout 2300 LBS.

[Broken External Image]:

Tom

Latest posts