can our tracs pass state inspection without cats?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Szkutak

Reaction score
I notice some people mention taking off their catalytic converters? Can we pass emissions inspections with no cats?? Also, is there a way to get a "performance catalytic converter"? I know we would have ton more hp if we didnt have cats...

thanks

andy

NY has the OBD2 test now, but I don't know what that means if the guy looks under the car.

If removing the cat will trigger a Check Engine Light, then you'll fail.

If the computer mentions to the inspecting computer that there is no cat, then you'll probably fail as well.

If you're in NY, just don't risk it.

In NY you will definitely fail if you remove the cats. Not only should it fail the visual inspection but if will fail the smog check too. I thought Explorer Express had a high flow cat but I just checked and couldn't find it.

BTW, Andy and Nobleman... are you guys coming to the Long Island Meet? We have a nice group coming so far.

George

If you have an emissions inspection in your state I see no way possible to pass. First, they will look under the vehicle with a mirror. If you have no CAT they won't even allow the test. You simply fail.

If it is there they will test and make sure it is all working as it is suppose to. If not, you fail...

Andy,

You can get a performance cat.

I replaced the factory Y-pipe and all four cats with a high flow Y-pipe and high flow cat. It's made by Magnaflow, I believe. If you find a shop that knows what they're doing, you shouldn't have a problem passing an emissions test. I've passed three so far with this setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dealer passed mine.... I have the y pipe, but the back cats are on.. In NY

Todd Z

They're pretty stiff on emission tests and other things here in Houston. Don't think I would take a chance.

It is illegal in all 50 states to remove your cat. It is a federal law and you can get fined big bucks for removing one without replacing it.

Some areas, like others mentioned aove, that does not have smog checks. Here in Ohio, they put a mirror under the car to look for a converter. If you don't have one, you fail.

If you are hell bent to remove it, you can run a rod through it and hope you pass the smog check. The OBD-II test where they plug into your OBD-II port will know if the converter isn't working. There is a downstream O2 sensor that monitors the converter.

Tom

Just take the muffler off instead, you'll be legal and the effect will be the same. Or replace the muffler (or split into duals) with say, a 1979 Z-28 Camaro resonator that only LOOKS like a muffler....;)

I've done this on a Blazer with headers.:D It did kinda wake the neighbors up though.

Tom, Question(s)? .

My 90 Bronco II had the huge ford 2 or 3 cat setup on it, cant remember, The muffler shop removed all of them and replaced with one high flow cat, Isn't that the same thing?? Just removing the front cats on the st, you still have the back 2... Couldn't you say that one of the fronts failed??. Since the backs are still there??? OR remove all 4 and replace with 1 that does the complete job??

As far as the 02 stuff, Mine are turned off, So when they hook up the obdII They get nothing, I simply flashed the computer to stock, went around the block and then they re hooked it up and it passed....

Todd Z

Latest posts